Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally started up my 1982 Honda CB450t hawk today, after a long winter away from her. I twisted the throttle I felt it crack and break. I’m glad it didn’t happen while I was riding, as the throttle immediately became useless.
I am pretty incompetent when it comes to fixing things, but I’m inclined to fix this on my own.
I was hoping you all could give me some guidance on where to go:
1) Replace throttle and grip with stock pieces
2) Take a bigger risk by replacing the handlebar, grips, and throttle altogether. This seems much more intimidating, but I would really like to add some of the cafe racer style to it (depending on how much more work this would be)
3) Take it to the shop and have it done professionally so I don’t mess it up.
Any input would be appreciated!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just for clarification, I’m pretty sure that it has nothing to do with the throttle cable. I believe it’s the throttle tube itself, although I’m not sure how to diagnose either.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm sure you won't need to do anything to the handlebar or grip. It's usually just the inner cable that's snapped. When you twist the throttle twist-grip, can you still feel the spring? ie. does it close again when you relax your grip?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Calling yourself 'CluelessWannabe' rather assumes you'll stay that way. By the time you've figured this out with a little help, you won't be so clueless.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply Henry! I’m really looking forward to developing some knowledge in this area. Bikes are cool, but those of you who can fix them up are untouchably cool.
To answer your question, no. The throttle doesn’t spring back when I let go. It stays in place. Twisting it around actually has a gritty feeling to it, as if there is broken plastic or something in there. What would you make of that?

·
Registered
30 Posts
It sounds like the inner (throttle) cable has snapped or a nipple has pulled off it. The gritty feel suggests frayed cable strands. The cable emerges from beneath the twist grip via a curved tube. If you pull on the outer cable (it's sheathed in plastic) it might come away from the tube to show you that it's broken. If you're not sure how one of these cables works look up 'bowden cable' online and familiarise yourself with the way they work. (Clutch and brake cables work the same way.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I finally started up my 1982 Honda CB450t hawk today, after a long winter away from her. I twisted the throttle I felt it crack and break. I’m glad it didn’t happen while I was riding, as the throttle immediately became useless.
I am pretty incompetent when it comes to fixing things, but I’m inclined to fix this on my own.
I was hoping you all could give me some guidance on where to go:
1) Replace throttle and grip with stock pieces
2) Take a bigger risk by replacing the handlebar, grips, and throttle altogether. This seems much more intimidating, but I would really like to add some of the cafe racer style to it (depending on how much more work this would be)
3) Take it to the shop and have it done professionally so I don’t mess it up.
Any input would be appreciated!
The throttle drums are made of plastic and can break up after 40 years.... see: https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb450t-hawk-1982-c-usa_model1014/partslist/F++03.html#.YG6XCuhKhPY for parts illustrations. Find the part numbers and then go to eBay and search for them there. You need to remove the seat, fuel tank to get to the carburetor cables, which need to be disconnected. You can probably get just one off and it will give you enough slack to disconnect the cables from the throttle drum. You DO need some metric tools... various 10mm wrenches will be handy, plus a quality Phillips screwdriver in #1, #2 #3 tips.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts