Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know one issue that a lot of people faced in their rebuilds is the fact that their ignition advancer was installed backwards when they attempt to adjust the timing. I have a weekend back home so I decided to do some work on the bike. Here are photos of my advancer. Can you guys give me a sanity check that it is installed correctly?

Thanks!

·
Registered
555 Posts
It’s actually the cam that gets installed 180 degrees out - you probably noticed that the advancer seems to go on just one way :D that little slot on the inner circle in your last picture sits on top of a small stud on the cam, dictating its alignment. But if you recall, installing the cam correctly just means aligning the two slots on the cam chain sprocket with the deck of the head - the cam lobes should be pointing down into the engine at that point, but you could also line up the sprocket lines and head deck with the lines facing up, which is reversed or “180 out”. The advancer then goes on 180 out (because the cam is flipped), but it can only go on one way.

Having just done this, I’m now having a “did I close the garage door” moment... :D anyone know how to check the sucker with the valve cover on?

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Having just done this, I’m now having a “did I close the garage door” moment... :D anyone know how to check the sucker with the valve cover on?
Pull a spark plug out, roll the engine by hand with your thumb over the hole and feel for compression. When you feel air coming out continue on to tdc and see if the points for that cylinder have just opened.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It’s actually the cam that gets installed 180 degrees out - you probably noticed that the advancer seems to go on just one way :D that little slot on the inner circle in your last picture sits on top of a small stud on the cam, dictating its alignment. But if you recall, installing the cam correctly just means aligning the two slots on the cam chain sprocket with the deck of the head - the cam lobes should be pointing down into the engine at that point, but you could also line up the sprocket lines and head deck with the lines facing up, which is reversed or “180 out”. The advancer then goes on 180 out (because the cam is flipped), but it can only go on one way.

Are you sure? honda cb360 engine trouble

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
OP, not sure on your level of knowledge about this, so I'll approach it from the beginning.

The spark advance mech is like 3 main parts. The back plate, the cam (part that sticks out from the plate), and the springs and weights.
If you don't take it apart, and it worked fine before you pulled it, then it's fine to reinstall. Just make sure the nub on the engines camshaft fits the notch on the back of the spark advance unit.

If you took the cam off the back plate, then it is possible to reassemble it 180 off, like 6 o clock instead of 12 o clock...

Helpful?

For correct stroke, you can peek through the plug hole and see the intake valve open, or feel the rocker push it open.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OP, not sure on your level of knowledge about this, so I'll approach it from the beginning.

The spark advance mech is like 3 main parts. The back plate, the cam (part that sticks out from the plate), and the springs and weights.
If you don't take it apart, and it worked fine before you pulled it, then it's fine to reinstall. Just make sure the nub on the engines camshaft fits the notch on the back of the spark advance unit.

If you took the cam off the back plate, then it is possible to install it 180 off, like 6 o clock instead of 12 o clock...

Helpful?

For correct stroke, you can peek through the plug hole and see the intake valve open, or feel the rocker push it open.
Got it. I didn't take the advancer apart, so I think it is good to go.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Got it. I didn't take the advancer apart, so I think it is good to go.
Just FYI for the future - sometimes the advancer binds on the cam a bit and if you just grab the easiest available area (the breaker cam itself), it often pulls off the rest of the assembly. This is how it can be put back on 180° out (because we often aren't paying attention to it until we later realize we should have!)

·
Registered
555 Posts
Aha, and I learned something as well! Never disassembled the advancer, so I’ve never encountered that particular issue. Shows me!

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pull a spark plug out, roll the engine by hand with your thumb over the hole and feel for compression. When you feel air coming out continue on to tdc and see if the points for that cylinder have just opened.
Performed this check too. Looks good!

·
Registered
354 Posts
So I know one issue that a lot of people faced in their rebuilds is the fact that their ignition advancer was installed backwards when they attempt to adjust the timing. I have a weekend back home so I decided to do some work on the bike. Here are photos of my advancer. Can you guys give me a sanity check that it is installed correctly?

Thanks!

Can't be done. Fits one way only

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What I was thinking about was previous threads where folks took apart their advancer unit for cleaning, and then when they reassembled it, the cam was on 180 degrees off. I forgot what bike model it is, but for that particular case, there was a notch on the cam that should match up with a notch on the body of the advancer unit.

·
Registered
354 Posts
What I was thinking about was previous threads where folks took apart their advancer unit for cleaning, and then when they reassembled it, the cam was on 180 degrees off. I forgot what bike model it is, but for that particular case, there was a notch on the cam that should match up with a notch on the body of the advancer unit.
Ok yeah, I do remember that happening to me. You could accidentally pull the cam off if the rest was hard coming off.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts