Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 78 CB400 T1 with spoke wheels. Went for a short ride and ended up with a flat rear tire. Don’t see any nails or other obvious reasons for a flat. I did notice that over the summer I would frequently have to add air to the tire. So maybe it was low and the ride caused the bead to come away from the rim.
Can I add a tube to the tire to help retain proper air pressure?
Thanks Mike

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
If you have spoke wheels, you have to have a tube in it. Running it tubeless, it will not be able to hold air around the spokes.
TOOLS

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Yes, it's fine to run a tube in a tubeless tire. Like TOOLS1 said, you have to use a tube in spoked wheels.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Then I will have to talk to my local motorcycle shop who mounted the tires on the rims.

·
Registered
581 Posts
If the shop mounted a tire on a spoked rim without a tube, I'd also look for another place to get tires mounted.

Reactions: 76TWIN and J-T

·
Registered
399 Posts
If the schrader valve is metal with a nut at the rim, then it already has a tube. If it's rubber, then find a new shop.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
There are low quality tubes available that loose air, not really a leak just porous. Not all tubes have the metal valve stem but the higher quality ones do. Also it's not uncommon for the Schrader valve not to be fully installed causing a leak down.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got the tire off. I found that the tube was torn right where the metal Schrader valve is attached. That would explain why I had so much air leaking from around the rim. So the local tire shop had done the right thing. Lesson learned is to always check tire pressure!!!

Thanks everyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts