Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bike sold to me as a CM400T, but now having learned a little, I know that can't be as it has no tachometer. However, I have a parts bike with the more complete instrument panel, including the tach. How hard is it to add the tach to my other bike? I see that there is a plug on the engine. How would that be removed?

Sean

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
seanmalcolmson said:
I have a bike sold to me as a CM400T, but now having learned a little, I know that can't be as it has no tachometer. However, I have a parts bike with the more complete instrument panel, including the tach. How hard is it to add the tach to my other bike? I see that there is a plug on the engine. How would that be removed?

Sean
To be able to connect the tach, you'll need to have the side cover that has the correct 'hole'. Also, there must be the worm type gear on the oil pump housing. They all may have this but thought I'd mention it, cause you never know.

Here a pic of the side cover and the place where the tach cable connect. Are you saying yours has a plug there? Thinking your model must be the 400E, not T.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what I not think as well. The part of the engine you are pointing to is exactly where I thought it should go, but there is a plug. Are you saying I can remove the side cover and check for a worm gear? I have to assume it is doable, because my parts bike is an E and it has the tach instrumentation.

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Yeah, if you remove that cover, you'll see if you have the necessary worm gear. However, the side case will also need a gear as well. Its what the cable attaches to, it meshes with the worm gear to spin the cable. I don't have a pic of this piece on the side cover but I can get one if you want. You have a pic of your side cover?

Here is a pic of the worm gear (lower right attached to oil pump).

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I think I will do it take off the side covers of both bikes I have and lok at the differences, then decide whether it is worth the work.

Thanks for the info. If needed, I will cantact you for help if oyu don't mind.

Sean

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
seanmalcolmson said:
What I think I will do it take off the side covers of both bikes I have and lok at the differences, then decide whether it is worth the work.

Thanks for the info. If needed, I will cantact you for help if oyu don't mind.

Sean
Is that plug on your side cover removable? Yeah, have a look at both and see what you have. I have a feeling you'll be able to piece together something to make it work.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Yes, just swapping the necessary "bits" should give you the desired results..... AND, all you'll need new is the gasket!........ :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, did you ever get it to work?

I bought a CM400E (The bike's fairings say CM400E, this is the only way I know) off someone but it has a Tachometer on it from i'm guessing, a CM400T or A that does not function. Was hoping to get it working.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts