Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Interesting idea. Some older bikes employed a slow motor oil feed, sometimes out the countershaft IIRC, but the issue there is the viscosity of motor oil - it slings off the chain as easily as it drips onto it. Modern spray chain lubes are designed to thicken up after dispensing to reduce slinging off and making the rest of the rear of the bike a mess. If their product is thin enough to drip out of the 2 tubes, it's likely to sling off pretty easily. Also, if it's lubing both sides of the chain, it seems that one of the tubes is facing the wrong way... I don't see gravity feed (since they said there is no pump) going uphill to get the lower side of the chain. Seems like the 2 feeds should have been on opposite runs of the chain - top for the outer side and inside the bottom run for the inner side of the chain, but you'd still have the viscosity aspect in play

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Yep, you're looking for a hot mess on the rear of your bike with a chain oiler. Most of it will sling off onto the wheel, rear of the bike, and your back if your chain guard doesn't catch it. Better to stick with a real chain lube that stays on the chain. My favorite is Bel-Ray Super Clean - it stays where you put it.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Opinions vary. Oilers were invented to keep the chain lubed, the Scott piece was invented in 1984. All of this was before there were specific chain lubes offered for motorcycles. They take care of the lubrication but at the same time they tend to over lube it which results in oil spray off the chain and sprockets. oil also drips off the chain where ever you park. Then there the checking and refilling the reservoir for it unless you get the version that pulls engine oil.
Personally I prefer chain lube, it's clean to use pretty much, lasts 300 miles or so and has the added benefit that while lubing the chain you get to take a good look at it and the sprockets plus other stuff in that vicinity.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.