Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Re: Add a tach to 1980 CM200E

Well, I'm not familiar with those various models, (the only CM200's I know are the old 'Twinstar' models, and they didn't have tachs at all), so I can't say, but it seems the bigger deal will be if the motor has the drive mechanism for a tach cable. A connection on the motor somewhere that might just be plugged off on the model with no tach.

Otherwise, I can't see why one COULDN'T make the swap.

Good luck, and post some pictures if you can.

Kirk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Here are some side shots of the engine, i dont realy know what to look for, the only holes i saw in the block are for what i assume to be the crank breather ( but its capped off for some reason) the oil fill and oil drain plug.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Oh and i'm a complete moron for some reason i typed in CM200e instead of what the bike realy is CM400E lol

·
Registered
608 Posts
if it doesn't have the drive you could always go with a electronic tach, search the net

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
The mechanical tach drive is just below and to the right of the balancer
chain adjuster plug on the right engine side cover.

http://www.dgy.com/fiche_section_detail ... &fveh=3176

The parts fiche for the E model looks like the same sidecover, just not machined for the tach drive mechanism.

Your best bet to add a mechanical tach may be to watch for the right side engine cover to come up on e-bay then contact the seller to see if you can also get the other parts. Then of course you would also have to find a tach. And a drive cable. :)

Is that electric tach starting to sound better to you too :?:

Good luck! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts