Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the rain is starting to creep in up here in the PNW and I'm starting to blueprint what I will need for parking/storing my bike in cold, rainy weather. I heard that ACF50 is the gold standard for keeping a bike rust/corrosion free. Is it really as good as they say? If anyone knows anything about this stuff or has helpful knowledge about moto covers (I hear vents are a must), anti-rust products, and general storage know-how please share. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
A Navy Seal brought back a bike from some long gone country. I dont recall who made it but was a 250 2 stroke. This was in the late 70s. I looked at because it was for sale but passed on it didnt have any idea where to find parts for it. Anyway when he stored it he coated the whole bike with wd40. After 30 odd years there was no rust on it. I dont recommend this nor would I try it but it worked for him. Its a great looking bike its a shame to let go to waste.

I just drain the tank and carbs, give it a good cleaning, roll it into the garage, pull the battery and cover it with old bed sheets.

Bill

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
I've never heard of ACF50, just read a bunch about it and actually it sounds like a decent product. I'm used to seeing all kinds of snake oil with claims of miracles which never happen.
For winter storage I cover my bikes with the Bilt medium weatherproof covers, they last @2 years, from Cycle Gear. Not the dust cover version. Usually @$60 each. I fill the tanks completely full and add fuel preservative to the fuel. If you can find non-ethanol fuel that's best. Drain the carbs unless you plan on firing up and riding the bike every month for an hour each time. Just starting, getting hot and turning it off does more harm than good. Remove the battery and store in a warm place, batteries hate cold weather. Add a battery tender to it but don't leave it on full time, once a week is more than sufficient. Air up the tires to max pressure.
GEDC2518.jpg 20170110_222131[1022].jpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
ACF50 is actually really good stuff. I've used it in the aviation industry for years. It leaves a gel like film on the surface and will wash off with hot soapy water. Not good for rubber based material though. So-Sure is another good corrosion inhibiting product.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts