Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just purchased a Acewell MD052-2XX and need help wiring to my 82 Nighthawk 450. I am trying to see what is the best way to wire the new digital gauge in. I was thinking of trying to just wire into the existing 9 pin connector that was connected to the stock gauges and wasn't sure if that was the best approach? I am bit confused with the acewell instructions.
ex.
What is a switch key? Black wire?
I ask this because I don't see anything like this on the wiring diagram for my 450.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
It will help if you can scan the the instructions and suggested wiring diagram that came with the unit. Larger scans are best.
Switch key? I'd guess that's the master power into the unit so you would use the solid Black wire for power. Red is a permanent hot wire, Brown's are for lights

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah. I ended up figuring it out by just trial and error. It seems to work fine except for the tach which seems a bit jumpy. I ended up tapping into the primary side of the ignition coil. I also didn't notice at first that it did not have a neutral light indicator. My bike doesn't have a fuel gauge sensor so I decided for now to plug the neutral light indicator into the fuel gauge light on the speedometer. It seems to work but I'm curious if this is a bad idea while I wait to buy a separate light indicator?

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The neutral light is a ground circuit meaning that when the transmission is in neutral the switch will see ground and turn the light on. Most low fuel lights are also a ground circuit so you should have any problem with the electrical portion. Might confuse someone else why your low fuel light only comes on in neutral.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The neutral light is a ground circuit meaning that when the transmission is in neutral the switch will see ground and turn the light on. Most low fuel lights are also a ground circuit so you should have any problem with the electrical portion. Might confuse someone else why your low fuel light only comes on in neutral.
Good to know. Will definitely order a separate light soon.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ordered a separate indicator light (12v) led from amazon for a standalone neutral light and it doesn't want to turn on. I made sure it works and tested it on a turn signal line and it worked but doesn't work from the neutral light line. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The light should have power to it and the other side should go to the neutral switch (ground in neutral). LED's are current directional so if the circuit is good then switch the wire connections.

·
Registered
459 Posts
You might get a more stable tach signal by using the pink wire going to the CDI. I have not personally done this but I seen it suggested here on the forum and seemed to work better.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
I'd be hesitant to interrupt any signal wire going to the CDI. The Pink is related to the advance and adding the tach there could disrupt that. The Yellow to the coil is what I suggest.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I was referencing This Thread. Don't know why i was thinking pink. Good catch Jim.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts