Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I will probably go with the XS650 coil replacement suggested in this forum, but...

Has anyone tried the ACCEL 140403S Universal Super Coil Kit in their machine (specifically '72 CB350)?
Amazon has the kits for $81. Not that much more than the XS solution.

Cheers,
Red

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Except you'll need two kits to get two coils......$162+..........

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm running the Accel on my CB160 and CL175, but those are parallel twins and the coil fires the spark plug whether it's on the compression stroke or not. Maybe Steve can chime in on this -- isn't that what's called 360 degree crank?

But if moving forward with the 140403S coil (x2) what to do with the other coil wire/terminal that can't be used?????

Hmmm.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Sorry, I did not have time to expound earlier...... and had not seen the pic yet...LOL :lol:
Your 350 has two cylinders that fire at 180 degrees apart..... That coil puts fire to both cylinders simultaneously (360 degrees)... Not what you want..... It will work on the 360 degree twins (160, 175, 185, and 200's)..... it could also work on the rarer "TYPE 2" (single point) versions of the 305, and 450, (also equipped with 360 degree cranks)....or it would work as half of the set on a 4 cylinder bike.....
Your bike requires two separate coils each having only one HT lead....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ahhhh... yup. :oops:
I was trying to see how the Accel hooked up. Now I get it.

Thanks guys! Looks like the XS solution is getting my money :D

Cheers,
Red

·
Registered
785 Posts
keltic88 said:
Thanks guys! Looks like the XS solution is getting my money :D

Cheers,
Red
That is what I did to my CL350

·
Registered
439 Posts
well worth the investment! After installing the EI and XS coils on my '71 450, there simply no going to points! what a difference... danWI

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
You can start reading about the following units..

Boretech..

Hondaman, makes a nice points based system that people rave over..

Dyna maybe??

There's more I'm sure..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
439 Posts
I dropped the 3oo+ bones and purchased the BoreTec EI. Good price (to me), good support, easy to install (once we got the wiring in the blocks correctly!), no problems. I hear from the guys on this site that the GL mod. is well worth it... might wanna ask steve. danWI

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
$300 is a bit too rich for my pocketbook at the moment. Was that for the coils and the ignition? Or just the ignition? If just ignition that seems expensive (to me anyway). I bought a Dyna for my KZ for $125 and two Dyna coils for $125.

Would love to have it for the CB though, made a big difference to the KZ. May have to investigate the GL mod, thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts