Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, i guess ill go ahead and start this. I dont currently have any pictures of the bike apart but that will be my next project and ill post them up.

The Story: saw this bike on craigslist and i picked it up in ft. wayne, IN. when i saw it i knew it just needed some TLC so i bought it for 400$. im a student at ball state university so i really dont have a lot to do with my time when im not in class or working. and i figured this would keep me away from partying and getting myself in trouble. its been a good journey so far..ive learned a lot about motor cycles so im happy about that.

Here she was before i tore her apart

Overall this bad boy had alot of rust on it fenders, frame, handlebars, pretty much everything. so ive got it all torn apart down to the frame and ive been rubbing down the chrome stuff to see if i can shine it up. The engine problems ive had i plan on working on after i get the frame repainted and put back together. I got it off craigslist and it said that it was hard to shift but it ran and stuff so i went ahead and got it. i didnt test ride it cuase i didnt know how at the time but now i found out that it had no second gear. and the right cylinder didnt fire.
[attachment=1:1ilvmnbh]img138.jpg[/attachment:1ilvmnbh]
[attachment=2:1ilvmnbh]img137.jpg[/attachment:1ilvmnbh]
[attachment=0:1ilvmnbh]img141.jpg[/attachment:1ilvmnbh]
Right now tho i just re-wrapped the wiring harness, i was looking through the manual and i saw how to test the coils to see if they were bad. so i did that with an ohmeter and i got about 33.2k i think but the other one i got infinite. it said to put the negative lead on the 2 black wires then the red on each of the spark plug wires and those were the readings i got. but it also had another way to test the condenser but i couldn't get it to work the way they said it should. do i have to buy new coils? can they be bought individually? ill keep this updated once i get my hands on a camera.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok well...ill come back to the coils.. but ive got everything torn down and im gonna try my hand at sandblasting today. ill get some pictures if there's any helpful tips anyone has used in the past let me know!!

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Arron,
This will be a nice bike. I have a CB450 K5 waiting restoration for my GL1100 to be fininshed. Keep us posted.
Jim

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well sandblasting was an overall failure :cry: . im just gonna take the parts to the place i was gonna get them coated and just tell them to do it and ill pay them. i think im going to get my fenders re-chromed too. any thought on that ill get some pictures of the damage i did on the frame and some of the parts in a little bit. heres the dammage i managed to do [attachment=1:33g95amc]img139.jpg[/attachment:33g95amc]
this is what i was using, it did some dammage but just not enough. i started off usin some all purpose sand i got from lowes but it was too thick and heavy for the to suck up the hose, so i eventually switched to silica sand which worked but just not enough and i didnt have the time to wait. i would suggest it for smaller jobs but to do the whole frame woudl take a while.[attachment=0:33g95amc]img140.jpg[/attachment:33g95amc]

Attachments

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
It is all about your budget and what you are trying to achieve. All of us want our bikes to be show quality, but the reality is most of us are happy with a nice rider. Have a look at some of the other project logs. A wire wheel and electric drill will remove a lot of scale, save the sand blasting to corrosion in deep corners.

I'm very intersted in what you are doing. I'm really looking forward to getting into my '72. Also, I have found a lot of nice usable parts on ebay for less than refirbishment. Makes you wonder how people will break up a bike that is nicer than what you are trying to save.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
l5cygx said:
Dude, Where are the pics? Keep'em come'n man! We all love to see bikes in progress.
Can't wait to see how this one is going to turn out.
thats all ive got so far...im kinda stuck right now cause i have no money and i just started working so all the paint stuff is all kinda pushed aside right now and i dont really have anything else i can do. i want to get the frame all back together before i start on the engine just so i dont have parts EVERYwhere like i kinda do now. im not the only one that uses the little shed ive been working in. so i gotta keep a little space for my roomates bikes

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok well i found my dads drill head polishing wheel the other day and my buddy is gonna let me borrow his drill for a while.. whats the best kind of polish to use on those bad boy side covers to get them all shiny and looking nice???

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Mothers, toothpaste (yes it works), or a selection of polishing rouges all work just fine.. The rouges do more "cutting" depending on what color you go with. Google "metal polishing rouges" to find out more about the process..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok so im finally getting pay checks rolling in so its almost time to get back to work on this bad boy. i am wanting to get repainted on the colored parts and one of my friends brothers paints crotch rockets for a living and i asked him how much it would be and he said 600 :eek: . i sent him pictures of the tank, air filter covers and the headlight housing but im thinking he might not of seen those if he still wanted 600 for all that.. i could understand a new bike that is all plastic but for those little parts i cant imagine its 600$ worth of work. if any of you indiana or surrounding area people know of a good place to do paint, or do paint yourself let me know cause i feel like 600 is just wayyy too much. thats what i expect to pay to get all my frame and such stripped and powder coated. and for anyone that has painted their gastank..did you take off the honda emblems or just tape over and be reeeeeall careful?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
VintageHondaCafe said:
I would take the emblems off. No matter how careful you are something is always in the way or you get a edge around the emblems.
were they hard to get off tho

·
Registered
28 Posts
I haven't got in to my tank yet but I can't imagine it would be too hard, if they're like a car emblem use a heat gun or hair drier (make sure the tank is totally empty) to get the adhesive off. As for the fixture I dunno, but if you use a high quality emblem glue it should stay put. I will mess with mine today. Perhaps someone else could shed some light.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
GETTING PAINT TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I recommend fishing string to pull the emblems off if you don't have a heat gun. That's what I use when I shave emblems off of cars and it works like a charm :ugeek: Just use it like dental floss, loop each end around a finger or two, and saw back n forth behind the emblem. After that you can scrape the rest of the adhesive off the tank. If you use a citric acid-based cleaner it'll clean the residue off in a hurry. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
J. Thompson #5150 said:
I recommend fishing string to pull the emblems off if you don't have a heat gun. That's what I use when I shave emblems off of cars and it works like a charm :ugeek: Just use it like dental floss, loop each end around a finger or two, and saw back n forth behind the emblem. After that you can scrape the rest of the adhesive off the tank. If you use a citric acid-based cleaner it'll clean the residue off in a hurry. :)
NICE! and update.. when i said i was getting paint i was actually in a hurry and signing off. but what im actually getting painted is my frame and all the black stuff. so the battery box, tail light mount, frame, swingarm, centerstand, foot pegs/kickstand.....and i think thats all! im really excited it should be done by the end of the weekend its at sandblasting right now and i should be picking all of it up tomorrow and taking it to powdercoating!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
272 Posts
The suspense is killing me. Looking forward to the pics.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts