Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm needing to replace or repair the detent star on my K5 CL450. I found some available for the K1-K2 and I noticed the part number for the K1-K2 is 24304-292-340 and the K3-K6 part number is 24304-292-350. What is the difference between the 340 and the 350? I thought these transmissions were the same for K1-K6...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Not sure when the 5 speed was implemented.
Only the K0 had the four speed engines. I didn't know there was any differences in the 5 speed transmissions. I would consult with tbpmusic on this one. Y are going to be better off trying to repair your roller. I have never seen one that wasn't worn.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay thanks. One more thing I’m curious about is the removal of the detent star. I have the shift drum rotated through all gears counter clockwise but I’m worried about giving it too much torque to break it loose. Is there anything I’ll damage by breaking the staked screw loose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Drill the staking out. I think I used a .125 inch drill. Don't go too deep. There will not be much of the old screw head left. You will need to stake a new screw at a different point.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Only the K0 had the four speed engines. I didn't know there was any differences in the 5 speed transmissions. I would consult with tbpmusic on this one. Y are going to be better off trying to repair your roller. I have never seen one that wasn't worn.
The 5-speeds are all the same part, despite numbers.
The "star", or the thing with the pins that screws on to the end of the shift drum, is very hard to find. Also a pain to do - the screw is staked - you just about have to split the cases and put the drum in a vise. If you get too rough with the drum in-place, you can easily drive it right through the other side of the crankcase.
The roller thing is also hard to find but can be repaired by some folks.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
The 5-speeds are all the same part, despite numbers.
The "star", or the thing with the pins that screws on to the end of the shift drum, is very hard to find. Also a pain to do - the screw is staked - you just about have to split the cases and put the drum in a vise. If you get too rough with the drum in-place, you can easily drive it right through the other side of the crankcase.
The roller thing is also hard to find but can be repaired by some folks.
I got mine out without splitting the case. The screw holding the star on is torqued pretty high, but it is fairly soft steel. As Bill says, go light if you use an impact driver.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts