Honda Twins banner

A manual impact driver is a beautiful thing.

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  krukster86 
#1 ·
Never even heard of them until I started learning about digging into my bike. I picked one up at Harbor Freight for $8 a couple days ago, and finally got to set my points right!
It's just a satisfying tool. I need more things that require hammers to use them.

Sent from my SM-T337T using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Someone - can't remember who - told me to snag one of those. I'd never heard of Harbor Freight before about a month ago. OH MY GOD. It's the greatest store ever. I didn't think to go there for one. I was going to get one off Amazon, but for $8, hell I'll get it later on today. Saturdays are made for Harbor Freight lol :)

#3 ·
They most certainly are.

There can be few things as gratifying in life as the feeling you get battering an obstinate brute of a nut/bolt/bike into submission. Sometimes it even transcends being about the fastener..it becomes just pure bad tempered - but oh so satisfying - revenge :)

#4 ·
I've used mine , a Blue Point, made by Snap-on, for over 50 years now. I bought it for my first Suzuki. Best investment I made for those JIS screws. (and it's handled many over the years)

Reactions: danno and ctrider
#5 ·
I've used a Craftsman impact screwdriver over the years and it's worked ok;a yr and a half ago I bought a Vessel JIS impact screwdriver Made in Japan for $45 and it works w/ minimal effort and one quick hammer blow.The JIS bits are made for our Japanese screws exactly and I've never had a screw that it wouldn't remove or one that the bits would deform the screw.The Vessel company also makes a special #3 or #2 screw driver that has a special mechanism built into the handle and it's called 'Impacta' :) I own one of each of them also and they make life SO much easier ;)

#6 ·
I went to work for a marine center when I was 14yrs (back in the 70's) old to learn outboard motors, one of the first things I learned was to use an impact driver on almost all screws, and a little heat. Next thing I learned was how to drill out broken bolts...

#7 ·
Agreed. A manual impact driver and a Harbor Freight breaker bar have paid for themselves time and time again when working on old bikes.

#10 ·
Yup boys, love my impact.... don't hold to much faith in the bits from Hatbor Freight.. 2 whacks and one broke the tip off...the other "twisted" .. I was ATTEMPTING to remove the stator cover on my cb450..
Got replacements from Home Depot (deliver to near store $7).. they held together, but no luck in removing the now stripped screws. Had to drill the heads off (be careful!) .. once the cover was off a pair with of vice grips takes them right out... Funny thing is, they came out easy...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.