Honda Twins banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally got some of my old Super 8mm movies converted and have been separating (they put them all on one DVD) and editing to upload a few. This one is from a weekend of camping and riding in the then-unregulated (no yearly pass or helmet required, no Park Rangers monitoring you) Citrus Wildlife Management Area, oddly enough very near where I live now but it was a 45 mile ride back then. My Mom, who learned to ride on a CT70 in late '69 at the age of 45, had a candy green SL100K0 at that time and my Dad and I each had an SL175K0, his candy orange and mine candy red. At the 2:04 mark, my Dad is climbing a small hill, grabs a little too much throttle and the front end comes up after he clears the top... his left foot comes off the peg and while he's chasing the bike, he ends up laid out over it - and the taillight ends up in a painful spot. :eek: Here are a couple pictures from then along with the video

·
Registered
284 Posts
Awesome pics AD! Those would be cool professionally re-touched to bring back the original color. Man I love SL's I always wanted one so bad when I was a kid.

·
Super Moderator
10,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks, it's been fun watching the movies again. I have quite a few of those old pictures in my Mom's photo album, I scanned them from the pages she glued them onto. I found LegacyBox from a radio ad late last year and bought a 10 roll conversion package from them for the Super 8mm film. I'd tried a few times over the years to copy the film to digital with a camera focused on the screen while playing them, but the timing of the shutters/aperture openings on the projector and camera were off and it made the movies look bright and dim constantly during playback like movies from 100 years ago. LegacyBox is significantly cheaper than any quotes I got from a local operation to convert the film, and a roll is considered a roll regardless of the size or amount of minutes - so I got about 14 rolls converted for the price of 10 as one was much larger with at least 3 or 4 spliced together.

My Mom later had an SL125, then an SL175 and she finished her riding days on a CT90 as one her knees started giving her trouble a couple years later. While she had the SL175, we were at the Honda shop during my senior year in high school and the dealership owner called her over to where he was talking to a local production company owner about needing a woman to do a commercial on a motorcycle. The commercial was for Lil General (later Circle K convenience stores) to be shown at local drive-in movie theaters, and my Mom ended up doing the commercial dressed up as the Jonathan Winters "Granny" character. They shot a scene at a local household where she opened the refrigerator and had a shocked look on her face, then I took her and the 175 to a local Lil General in my Dad's truck and she finished the job there. She came out of the store with a bag of stuff, strapped it to the seat, put her helmet on, kickstarted the bike and rode away

·
Registered
151 Posts
That is really cool , you are a lucky man to have memories like that on video. Looks like original soft shell helmets?

·
Super Moderator
10,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, it is wonderful to have them, yes... as for the helmets of the day - no one made a full face helmet then, the Bell Star was a year or so away as I recall. We all used 3/4 helmets (open face) with snap-on face shields, back then I think you could buy one for about $20 to $30... and none of us died either, from that or riding around in the car without seat belts... or drinking from the garden hose... or taking our own meds to school and dosing ourselves as needed (I had asthma then and there were no inhalers, only tiny little Tedral pills that took 20 minutes to work!)

·
Super Moderator
10,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
So here's another video from the conversion DVD. When one of my cousins was visiting from MI, my Dad, another cousin (who lived here) and I went to a well-known local riding place called Croom with our bikes. My Dad and I had XL250s then (early '72), my local cousin had an SL350K1 and my visiting cousin rode my Mom's SL175. My Dad and visiting cousin took a lot of Super 8 video that day.

·
Registered
151 Posts
(I meant the knit beanies it looks like being worn on the vid)

·
Super Moderator
10,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd LOVE to see that whole commercial.......
You and I both Steve - we never got a viewing or "proof" of the final version, nor did we find out when and where it was run, but we did hear from a few people that they saw it. All that I have of the day is what you see, unfortunately

·
Registered
455 Posts
Great memories, thanks for sharing. I had the same SL350 K1 also. Great bike but I thought it was still a bit heavy for MX but an awesome dual sport bike.

·
Super Moderator
10,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
(I meant the knit beanies it looks like being worn on the vid)
Didn't catch your inference the first time. Yeah, my Mom made those (knitting or crocheting, one of the two)

·
Super Moderator
10,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
More from the Super 8 archive. During the Spring of 1972, a high school riding buddy and I entered an Enduro run at Croom near Brooksville FL. I stripped down my nearly-new XL250 and entered with it, and he cobbled together an SL125 to enter. With no barrel connectors known to me (or available then, not sure), I did not solder the wires on the aftermarket kill switch I used and the connections came loose during the first half hour, shorting the ignition. I had to push the bike about a half mile back to the campsite... lesson learned about twist and tape connections at age 17 :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
10,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Next installment of old-timey Super 8 video - after owning the XL250 for maybe 6 months, the ATC90 had come out and I was fascinated with it. The 250 got sold and I bought a new 3 wheeler. Working full-time at Honda Village after graduation then, I came home from work one day and was still in my uniform when I started riding around my parents' side yard on it

·
Super Moderator
10,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Last in the group of spliced together videos from our camping times. In the Fall of 1970, after working the summer at my first Honda shop job and buying my first new bike (candy red SL175), the bike developed what sounded to my Dad like a wristpin knock. After some argument with the dealer, they agreed to put a crankshaft in it. During our camping trips while it was down I rode a raggedy, cobbled-together mess of a CT200 that started out life with us as a 2 stroke Sachs 125 with a worn out engine. My Dad thought the front forks on it looked too small and weak, so he cut the entire front end off a used Ducati 250 street bike at the frame neck and welded it to the Sachs frame and we swapped the Sachs engine for a used CT200 pushrod 90 engine (also a bit tired). It rode stiff, never had a functional front brake (no cable), had a marginal rear brake too as we had to flip the rear wheel for the left side chain and the rear brake pedal and linkage were never quite the same afterward, but it took a beating and of course, always kept running (in spite of the many wheelies done with it, leaving the oil in the back of the engine away from the pump, unbeknownst to a 15 year old). The Sachs is on the left in this front yard picture from early that year, at the time with the original engine and front end (my Mom was just posing at the time, she was not aware of the CT70 that was in her future!)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts