Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after about 8 months, i reckon i've got all the kinks ironed out in my K3 450. I did a final tune up the other day and everything seems to be in order save for a few things i might post here for you guys to take a look at.

Firstly, before the tune up, i was getting a ticking sounds from the engine. A sign that the valve clearances were too far out. So i popped off the covers and threw in the feeler gauge to find that they were all way too tight. This is going off the Clymer Manual which says they need to be at .012. Now, although the engine runs nicely, the ticking is even worse! even after it heats up for a bit. The shafts and valves look in really good shape by the way. It's hardly done any work. SO the question is, have any of you guys had any experience with the valve clearances? Is the clymer manual wrong? or is it just normal to have a bit of ticking?

Secondly, the stator coils look to be shedding that clear coating from around them. Has anybody else had this problem and if so, what is the solution? I can't imagine it would be ideal to have those flakes floating around in my engine...... If it needs replacing, is a new old stock part the best option or is there new products you'd recommend?

Thanks guys!

Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
You misread your Clymer book. Look again. The clearance is .0012 inch, not .012 inch. If you set exactly to .012 inch, you have exactly 10 times the specified clearance. I think most of us use .002 inch or .05 mm feeler gage to set the clearance.

Ray

Edit: p.s. Nice bike! I have also have a CB450K3, but it is a project bike on which I have not yet started.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, I just forgot to add the extra 0 when i wrote that up...... .0012 is what it's at...... .03mm is the gauge i used.... is there any other reason why it would be ticking? Should i just tighten them up a bit more perhaps?

Andrew

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
No, do not set them tighter; solid tappets always tap some - a tappy valve is a happy valve. You can use a stethoscope (or fuel line as a stand-in, with a screw in one end), to find where the tapping is coming from, by touching around the engine to find the loudest source. It could even be a slight leak in a header gasket, which sounds a lot like tapping, when small.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Actually, I just forgot to add the extra 0 when i wrote that up...... .0012 is what it's at...... .03mm is the gauge i used.... is there any other reason why it would be ticking? Should i just tighten them up a bit more perhaps?

Andrew
Andrew,

It never occurred to me that you just had a typo. I guess that's because I nnnnneeever make those myself. :rolleyes: ;)

Good advice from Znabb and Wintrsol. Loud tappets save lives. Unless you think it is really abnormally loud, you are far better off to hear the tappets than to not hear them.

Ray

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, thanks for all the awesome advice, guys! I really appreciate it. I don't suppose any of you have any ideas about my stator issue, do you? Flakey coils and that.....somebody has surely been in this boat before, yeah?

thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh and I pulled out a length of hose, stuck a screw in it and had a little listen to the engine.....it seems that all the valves are tapping equally loud....lol.... I don't think it's anything to be worried about....the bike is running pretty sweetly at the moment so I'm happy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts