Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was a good week/end for me.. Had lots of fair food at the local county fair (7 porkburgers/7 vinegar fries to be exact). Met an old flame/friend that decided for some stupid reason that she favors my old ass and wanted to go home with me. Then to top it all off, a guy shows up today that I haven't seen in about a year. He tells me to come to a certain house tomorrow and I can have 3 motorcycles for free. Plus he knows the owner of them and says I can probably get titles either from him, or have him sign whatever paperwork is necessary. The guy just wants all of his junk gone.

So far all I know of the bikes is this. There's a Suzuki GS1000/1100. An old Suzuki dirtbike or enduro of some sort, and a fully faired Goldwing. I'll have more details soon I hope, and maybe some pictures of the ratty old things for you guys to check out.

The girl is/was my favorite part of the weekend, but the bikes helped too. I needed a little boost lately.. ;) :lol:

GB :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
You hussy you...3 bikes at once...I'm jealous... ;)

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Go ahead Lee, just say it.. Let it all out.... I'm your hero. :lol: :p

The guy did send me some cell phone pictures of two of the bikes, and they are ratty.. For free though, who cares!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Geez..and I thought I scored big when I got Showtime for free this weekend for some reason..... :oops:

Good deal GB! Like to see what ya got...the bikes I mean ;)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Bird76Mojo said:
This was a good week/end for me.. Had lots of fair food at the local county fair (7 porkburgers/7 vinegar fries to be exact). Met an old flame/friend that decided for some stupid reason that she favors my old ass and wanted to go home with me. Then to top it all off, a guy shows up today that I haven't seen in about a year. He tells me to come to a certain house tomorrow and I can have 3 motorcycles for free. Plus he knows the owner of them and says I can probably get titles either from him, or have him sign whatever paperwork is necessary. The guy just wants all of his junk gone.

So far all I know of the bikes is this. There's a Suzuki GS1000/1100. An old Suzuki dirtbike or enduro of some sort, and a fully faired Goldwing. I'll have more details soon I hope, and maybe some pictures of the ratty old things for you guys to check out.

The girl is/was my favorite part of the weekend, but the bikes helped too. I needed a little boost lately.. ;) :lol:

Well Gb, GOOD FOR YOU!!! Glad to hear about your "Up Lift" and sounds like you've really been in Hog Heaven SEVEN PORK BURGERS? Good grief, you trying to PLUG UP the old arteries? :shock: :eek: :D Ha! Ha! Ha! Dude, you just keep on truckin'!
Let us know how the bike deal turns out And Congrats on the Girl too! ;)

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! The seven porkburgers were over a 5-6 day period, so my "diet" was largely unnaffected.. :lol:

The guy still hasn't returned my call about those bikes. I'm getting ready to go find his place though. I just don't wanna go driving down any old lane around those parts. Might get shot at in that area.. :shock:

Hopefully the girl doesn't "wise up" anytime soon..... ;) I could use another "lift" :lol:

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I went and looked at the bikes today.

The large Suzuki streetbike still turns over and the motor sounds like it's got good compression, but the charging system has been taken apart. Plus someone put a skinny rear rim on it. Partially complete. It's fubarred in my book. It says 2400cc on the side and has 23,000 original miles.

The Suzuki dirtbike once was a street legal enduro I believe. Not sure on the model or year yet. Forgot to check the mileage. It's a 396cc bike so a 400 of some sort. Red dented up tank, original keys in it still. The valve cover/top of the head has been removed and never put back on. The cam chain has some slack when kicked over but it's got a boatload of compression left in her. Pretty much screwed though.

Then there's 2 old Hondas. A 1971 and 1978 maybe? Both some sort of Hawk model I believe. Someone put 2 front rims on one of them just to roll it around. They're both in a sad state, partially dismantled but the engines are pretty much untouched and both turn over with compression.

Plus there was quite a few old Honda wheels and tires laying about and I'm taking it all for free as far as I've been informed now. We'll see this weekend though.

Sorry, I forgot the camera... :? :oops:

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, I almost forgot.. There was some sort of frame laying all by itself covered up with stuff like they didn't want anyone seeing it. It was handbuilt from the look of it. The neck was fully tig welded, with other small parts mig welded on. There was no evidence of it ever having a VIN plate or serial number either. I'm guessing a flat track frame of some sort..

That's the one that has my interest..

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Bird76Mojo said:
Oh, I almost forgot.. There was some sort of frame laying all by itself covered up with stuff like they didn't want anyone seeing it. It was handbuilt from the look of it. The neck was fully tig welded, with other small parts mig welded on. There was no evidence of it ever having a VIN plate or serial number either. I'm guessing a flat track frame of some sort..

That's the one that has my interest..

champion frame, wouldn't that be rad?! but normally they are stamped #champHANDXXXX or #champYAMXXXX or similar.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anything's possible I guess. I really hope it is something with some rarity to it.. There is a local flat track circuit around here so it makes sense that it COULD be a frame from that type of racing.. I wouldn't know just by looking at it though.

I'll look for more stamping on it the next chance I get.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Or, if it's nickle finished.

There's a ton of flat track frame manufactures around in the 70's.

Check out this site: http://www.vft.org if you happen to get the frame and need it I.D'ed or if you have the motor mount measurements, and they can usually figure out at least what is supposed to go in it.

Jason

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the link!

It wasn't nickel finished (I don't think) but it was a nice smooth silver with no rust that I remember, which is odd for being in an old barn. The welds didn't even have rust on them. The subframe was aluminum though.

Hopefully there's a front end lying around for it too.

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Sounds like Chrome-Moly to me... (the good stainless)... :D :D :D

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was thinking stainless myself but didn't think they'd use something so heavy..? I wish the guy would stop being lazy and call me up to clean out the barn already! I guess I'll have to call him yet again to get the ball rolling.. :roll:

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Chrome-Moly thinwall is excessively strong AND very lightweight...... If you desire LESS weight, you have to resort to carbon fibre.....

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
66Sprint said:
Chrome-Moly thinwall is excessively strong AND very lightweight...... If you desire LESS weight, you have to resort to carbon fibre.....

You mean like this carbon "fiber" ????

Well, it's primarily carbon....

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok here's the lowdown..

Got all of the bikes today.

Someone cut up and welded the flat track style of frame, so it's crap. Hell they're all crappy old barn bikes but I'm glad to have em.

I ended up scoring the bare frame with a flat track/cafe style fiberglass seat.
A CJ360
A Suzuki 400 enduro
The Suzuki DOHC 2400cc?? So it's a 1200?? :oops:

And finally my favorite of the bunch... Drumroll please......................

An SL350! 13,000 original miles. Non original pipes unfortunately but a pretty darn nice gas tank.. Mostly there and with excellent compression when kicking over! It's got that "thump" - shhhhhh sound to it. I bet with some work it'd run even..

Pics to come shortly...

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Here you can see the welded/butchered on mounts for a different tank.. Notice the tig welds though..

Notice the backbone has been cut out and replaced with galvanized pipe..

Here you can see the rear of the backbone and where it's been cut/welded/butchered...

Suzuki streetbike mileage below..

SL350 mileage below..

Suzuki enduro mileage below..

I cleaned em up after the pictures with the garden hose and they look a lot better now... Especially that SL350.... What's amazing is that they ALL have good compression and are totally free.. No titles but I know the old guy that had them and there's no way any of them is stolen.. They're just parts bikes anyway... :D

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Awesome luck you have GB hmm? (best Yoda voice) :)

So your not gonna restore the 350? Go on...you KNOW you gutta! That big Suzy looks like its jammed a lot of wind in its day... :lol:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts