Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this home yesterday. Same owner for the past 35 years and he bought the bike from the original owner in California when was living out there. 1966 CL77, the bike starts, runs, compression off the charts, and has what the seller swears to be actual mileage of around 6K on the clock. Clear numbers matching title, "BUT", the front fender and chainguard are missing and as we all know, these are the Holy Grail of parts in CL land. Regardless, I am looking forward to bringing another 305 Scrambler back to the land of the living. I still say, best stance and lines, on any high pipe bike ever produced........
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Vehicle
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle registration plate Vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Carbs rebuild, (didn"t really look that bad), valves adjusted, timing set, new plugs, points cleaned, and oil changed. Fired up immediately and has been around the block a couple of times. Rev's fine, starts easy, but huffs blue smoke from the right side. Cheapo compression gauge shows 125 cold and 135 warm dead equal for both jugs, so a rebuild may be on the horizon. Since it has been sitting for so long, I may try running it a little more before pulling the motor to start the cleaning and painting process. I have found a chain guard and thought I had a front fender, but that fell through. My fender accidently got shipped overseas and I got a CB750F chainguard instead. A total f&*(k up and the seller is dragging his feet on a refund or a solution. I was due, in all of the parts I have purchased off of Flea Bay is is my first bad experience.....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Britman,

Nice score on the CL77. I have started restoring a 1967 CL it came from CA. Frame and swing arm are out for powder coating, tank and side covers are at another painter, going with candy blue to match my 1968 CL175 K0.
I have an aftermarket fender in the front, would love to find an original.
Shouldn't your handlebars have a cross brace?
I'll be doing a top end job to the engine. She ran before disassembly, but, since it's out of the frame, I'll inspect.
Have fun!

Mr. B.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well you really don't need to eat everyday or leave anything behind for the kids. I have decided to have the motor gone through. I am leaving in the morning to drop it to my Buddy in Pa. who is a pure 305 guru. I know it will come back done right. It ran great when I got it fired up and I even took it around the block a few times, but it huffed blue smoke badly from the right jug, could very well have had a stuck ring from years of sitting, but I am in all probability going to end up keeping this one so I want it done right. I finally got a refund from the "AH" Ebay seller, but had to open a case to do it, so I am still searching for a fender. Since I am pretty much going to be out of mad money shortly at least this project is going to last a while. I did install a new seat cover, unbelievable, the pan was like brand new....
Wheel Tire Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle handlebar
Motor vehicle Road surface Automotive tire Plant Asphalt
Table Furniture Textile Rectangle Wood

1 - 8 of 8 Posts