Honda Twins banner

A brace of Cb450 on Craigs list

3K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  tbpmusic 
#1 ·
Got love this one "very hard to find especially in this condition" what condition you ask...EXPENSIVE :lol: :lol:
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/1521255647.html

and there is more $$$ to be spent
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/1512863471.html

The engine is frozen :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://madison.craigslist.org/mcy/1532203268.html

Sounds OK
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/m ... 34785.html

A red Bomber
http://evansville.craigslist.org/mcy/1531715345.html

I think there are one too manny 0 in the price
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/1530441268.html

Rod from OZ :cool:

See less See more
#2 ·
What drives me to freakin distraction is how, so many times (for example-- all of the above ) the ads either do not show the miles, the year or other basic info.
I went through this recently looking for a van. After two paragraphs of misspelled words (when did "SELL" become "SALE"? as in " I must sale this due to _________"?)
there was no reference to engine size, mileage etc. If they had mileage, they didn't mention year. If they did say what year, no engine size-- etc. On a CB/CL450 we all know the engine size.
Best one I ever saw was: FOR SALE: Kawasaki motorcycle. Good condition. Has saddle bags.
That's it!
I found myself wasting time, just out of frustration, writing these people and asking them (sometimes sarcastically) what is the mileage? What is the price? etc.
The other thing is, 95% of the time, they don't respond! A few would respond weeks later, apologizing and using the excuse that they haven't checked their e-mail! WTF? You place an ad and don't check your e-mail??
Best excuse was "I went on vacation". Let's see, you place an ad-- and go on vacation?
GEESH!!
We should start a thread for stupid CL ad's. Worst spelling, worst grammar, totally incomprehensible etc.
Just for laughs.

#3 ·
WOZERD said:
What drives me to freakin distraction is how, so many times (for example-- all of the above ) the ads either do not show the miles, the year or other basic info.
I went through this recently looking for a van. After two paragraphs of misspelled words (when did "SELL" become "SALE"? as in " I must sale this due to _________"?)
there was no reference to engine size, mileage etc. If they had mileage, they didn't mention year. If they did say what year, no engine size-- etc. On a CB/CL450 we all know the engine size.
Best one I ever saw was: FOR SALE: Kawasaki motorcycle. Good condition. Has saddle bags.
That's it!
I found myself wasting time, just out of frustration, writing these people and asking them (sometimes sarcastically) what is the mileage? What is the price? etc.
The other thing is, 95% of the time, they don't respond! A few would respond weeks later, apologizing and using the excuse that they haven't checked their e-mail! WTF? You place an ad and don't check your e-mail??
Best excuse was "I went on vacation". Let's see, you place an ad-- and go on vacation?
GEESH!!
We should start a thread for stupid CL ad's. Worst spelling, worst grammar, totally incomprehensible etc.
Just for laughs.
Sorry for any speling or gramitical erroryes. Must be really hard when you have a choice :lol: :lol: :lol: totally sarcastic :D
Rod from OZ :cool:

#4 ·
HEY :eek:
everyone backoff that 350 and 450 on madisonCL listing :x

I'm picking up both those titled bikes in 2 hours! :shock:

p.s. anyone need some spare 450 parts?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

#5 ·
I hate it when folks call any 450 a "Bomber"....what's up with that !

#6 ·
RicH2 said:
If you're referring to my comment :? it was a tongue in cheek reference to the bike painted with a red frame ;) Honda did build red K0's (there is one red example known to the 450 group, maybe more?) in the parts book for the K0's it lists the red components. In the UK i believe a dealer painted some red to help sell them, our more experienced UK folk will be able to explain further. :D :D

Calling GAMD5

rod from OZ :cool:

#7 ·
Don't feel bad Wozerd!! I've felt the exact same way and done the same thing (wasting my time on bikes I don't want) about contacting people to tell them to include the basic info. I've had some pretty rude responses too..

If you've ever read any of the Best of Craigslist you were probably enjoying it as much as I have.

GB :mrgreen:

#8 ·
otr002 said:
RicH2 said:
If you're referring to my comment :? it was a tongue in cheek reference to the bike painted with a red frame ;) Honda did build red K0's (there is one red example known to the 450 group, maybe more?) in the parts book for the K0's it lists the red components. In the UK i believe a dealer painted some red to help sell them, our more experienced UK folk will be able to explain further. :D :D

Calling GAMD5

rod from OZ :cool:
I'm not an experienced UK person but I can confirm Ken Ives Motorcycles in Leicester did spray K0 'Black Bombers' red to try and generate sales, I think he may have 'cafed' them too with clip-ons.

#9 ·
I met a guy in Ohio with an original Red Bomber. K0 model, low production numbers. I amy still have his email around here soemwheres.. or past MSN DOHC memebrs knew him as FireBoss. If interested, I can do some tracking...

on another note, i picked up the cb450 and cb350 (listed below) last nite. the 450 is a 1969 frame ttitled 1971 and fitted with 1970 hardware (front disk, k3 front forks, k3 blue, etal). Strnage but I'm happy with that! The '71 cb350 in purple is the dog the cat dragged in... ruf-ruf-ruf. Ironically, the bike is titled off the engine, which is a stuck and 1/2 dismantled lump. I'm only keeping the gas tank and fork covers, the rest needs to go. Will send photos later this week, danWI

#11 ·
Bill, not consistantly... there was a period between the late 1960's and the mid 70's inwhich bikes were titled off the engine or frame. seems dependant on the person writing the numbers! Im some cases, I prefer the titled engine because where the engine is installed is the titled bike. But with my earlier collection bikes, I so prefer titled frames... alot easier to trace when stolen. danWI

#14 ·
Not quite finnished yet, but now up and running. Get Chris to show you his!

Attachments

#15 ·
If you want more red, then a Black Bomber cafe racer. This is an older photo. Now nearly ready,up and running, just touching up the paintwork then you can have better photos.

Attachments

#16 ·
Just in case you want to see the black BB in the background. This is now up and running, just waiting for it to come back from the mechanic who is fine tuning it for me.

Attachments

#17 ·
Ironically, the bike is titled off the engine,

Is there any way to tell if the engine ID matches the frame ID? Should they be the same with, maybe an "E" suffix?
I'm growing suspicious of my 72. It's never been apart (not a mark on the bolts pr philips screws) but, it had mud caked in the underside cooling fins and the fins at the front look like they were dragged across a rough concrete floor. The bike was exceptionally clean compared to the engine.

#18 ·
WOZERD said:
Ironically, the bike is titled off the engine,

Is there any way to tell if the engine ID matches the frame ID? Should they be the same with, maybe an "E" suffix?
I'm growing suspicious of my 72. It's never been apart (not a mark on the bolts pr philips screws) but, it had mud caked in the underside cooling fins and the fins at the front look like they were dragged across a rough concrete floor. The bike was exceptionally clean compared to the engine.

The frame and engine numbers only rarely match on US models of these old Hondas.
They'll usually begin the same, for the first number or so.......the K models should be the same at least.

#19 ·
Rayfromtheuk said:
Not quite finnished yet, but now up and running. Get Chris to show you his!
Is that a Ken Ives model then? it is certainly how I remember it, with a black frame not red, I thought they fitted clip-ons but I suppose the 'Ace' bars would make more sense.

Where in the UK are you? It's no wonder I can't find one you seem to have most of them now :D :D :lol:

#20 ·
In response to Bill's comment: i've noticed in my time with Hondas that the first 3 or 4 numbers on the frame and engine match. ignore that there is an E in the engine stamp, of course! not sure if this is consistant or not... danWI

#21 ·
so this thread BEGAN with Rod posting some CL listings. heres what i picked up locally for 150usd, both bikes titled. not pictured are the excellent condition turquoise 450 tank with side covers, and purple gas tank in fair condition. I pulled them and the 450 front end this morning (outside in 3*F/-16*C..... you just gotta have honda passion, man!) good chance I have the parts to complete both 450s now! and then on too the purple 350.....

#23 ·
danWI said:
In response to Bill's comment: i've noticed in my time with Hondas that the first 3 or 4 numbers on the frame and engine match. ignore that there is an E in the engine stamp, of course! not sure if this is consistant or not... danWI
Well, none of mine even come close. On my 72 K5 the frame is # is CB450-502###
and the engine is CB450E-410###
On my 70 partsmobile the frame is CB450-301### and the engine is CB450E-601###.
It's -1F outside and barely warmer in my garage so, I'm too much of a wuss to go out and uncover my other K3 to look and compare. That one, I know, is all original.
SOOOOOOOOOO........ what?
could be, should be, may be, probably isn't????

#24 ·
danWI said:
so this thread BEGAN with Rod posting some CL listings. heres what i picked up locally for 150usd, both bikes titled. not pictured are the excellent condition turquoise 450 tank with side covers, and purple gas tank in fair condition. I pulled them and the 450 front end this morning (outside in 3*F/-16*C..... you just gotta have honda passion, man!) good chance I have the parts to complete both 450s now! and then on too the purple 350.....

That is soooooooo sad! Brings a tear to my eye!

#25 ·
Hi Number Matchers
Honda did not seem to care. There would be a frame sequence and an engine sequence. The two sequences might start with the same number. I have never seen any evidence that the first engine was ever put in the first frame. As time went on the connection between the frame and engine number would get less and less.
My Honda CB750F1 is a good example of what Honda did. When the CB750F0 came out the frame and engine sequences started with the same number. When the CB750F1 came out the frame number sequence started anew but the engine sequence continued.
TomC in Ohio

#26 ·
I've seen hundreds of 450's, and the K-series for engine always matched the K-series for the frame (out of the crate).
Meaning, a frame number that started with 5 always had an engine that started in 5.

If you have a K5 frame and a K4 engine, then the engine was swapped out at some point.
It's very common on 450's, because the engines remained virtually the same through the entire 5-speed production run, for CB and CL both......

It should go without saying that a K1 frame could not have possibly come with a K6 engine........

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.