Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm helping a friend fix his '95 ST1100 and he needs an alternator to replace the one that's bad. I want to do an Iron Butt "Bun Burner" (1500 miles in 36 hours) and if we fix his bike he'll let me use it for the ride so I'm motivated. :)

If you have a lead on this part I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
All the alternator stuff is still available from Honda, I think - though pretty expensive.
They rarely appear on EBay, new or used.

Sometimes a problem like this on one of this type of bike (big fours, Gold Wings, etc.) can be a real deal-breaker.
Bad alternators can easily end up costing $1,000 or more on these bikes.
It may be possible to score a crash-damage bike somewhere and scavenge the parts....

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tbpmusic said:
All the alternator stuff is still available from Honda, I think - though pretty expensive.
They rarely appear on EBay, new or used.

Sometimes a problem like this on one of this type of bike (big fours, Gold Wings, etc.) can be a real deal-breaker.
Bad alternators can easily end up costing $1,000 or more on these bikes.
It may be possible to score a crash-damage bike somewhere and scavenge the parts....
I think your right. I was at the Honda Dealer today and looking up the parts on-line. The stator portion is over $350 for this bike. It was a shot in the dark posting here but I thought I'd try.

I know there are shops that rebuild and rewind auto alternators, starters etc. and I'm wondering if the newer parts are built in such a manner that maybe one of them can rewind it. It might be worth checking out as well.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Depends on which part(s) is bad, Mike. Usually the whole mess goes out at once.
At least two of the parts are in the $400 range.

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Do you know if the alt is the same as the 1100 and/or 750 magna...I have one for one of those..... CHEAP!.... Pix would help me compare what I have to "yours"..... I don't have the fiches, so part numbers won't help......Steve

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
66Sprint said:
Do you know if the alt is the same as the 1100 and/or 750 magna...I have one for one of those..... CHEAP!.... Pix would help me compare what I have to "yours"..... I don't have the fiches, so part numbers won't help......Steve
I kind of doubt it would work Steve, but here is the fiche picture.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just looked up a VF1100 and it doesn't look anything like it. Thanks for checking though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts