Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at an 86 CB450SC that appears in good shape, other than missing side panels and some kind of issue with the ignition switch (still runs and drives though). I was wondering how hard it is to find parts and info for these bikes? I'm okay with not keeping all 'original' parts. I realize the bike is 30 years old, so ebay will probably be my friend, but are there certain parts that I should pay close attention to because they're expensive or hard to find?

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Cdi and stator are tricky.

Replace the coils with the gm coil mod, not oem, and fuse block with blade fuses.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Factory service manuals are available, let us know if you need one.

Keeping it running isn't too difficult, keeping it looking nice might be tougher. Cosmetic (body) parts are about as available as for any other 30 year old bike. Enter "CB450SC" in the e-bay search box, you'll get an idea.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Tanks and side covers are the hardest to find in decent shape, the aluminum rear support bars are getting hard to find. A lot of parts are available from Honda still, eBay can be your friend or foe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I'd found the GM coil replacement but not the fuse swap. Other than buying used on eBay, are there other options for side panels? The bike doesn't have either side, and it seems like a lot out flapping in the breeze.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I don't know if anyone has documented the fuse mod yet.
Basically any blade fuse block will probably work. I used one from a Honda ch250 scooter since I had it around. I think it had 4 plugs which allowed for a spare fuse. I recall it being fairly straight forward, and I tucked the new setup in the area of the old one... With like a zip tie or something

·
Registered
460 Posts
Thanks, I'd found the GM coil replacement but not the fuse swap. Other than buying used on eBay, are there other options for side panels? The bike doesn't have either side, and it seems like a lot out flapping in the breeze.
I've been without side covers for two years. No problems yet and I ride rain or shine. Some of the engine internals can be tricky to find like cam chain sliders and oversize pistons no longer exist. Keeping one of these running and on the road is pretty straight forward, easy and affordable though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts