Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1985 nighthawk 450
So i always thought by bike ran just a bit lean..judging from color of exhaust pipes and plug inspection id say yes....i want to richen it up just a tad but i cannot adjust the pilot screws they are both screwed out and a tab on the carb wont let them back out anymore....the tab will only allow the screw one full rotation either way in or out....does this all sound correct ? Is there anything i can do to richen them a bit ?
Ty all

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
The mixture screws are for adjusting the air/fuel ratio at idle. They have little effect above about 1/4 throttle. Even so, to get them properly adjusted you need to remove the limiting tabs.

All else being stock, it is generally suggested that you increase the main jet one size to make up for the fact that these bikes were jetted on the lean side from the factory, on your bike from 125 to 127 or possibly 130. Beyond that a series of plug chops can tell you if more changes are necessary.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
I cut the blocking tab off the float bowl and retain the limiter cap, the tab on it makes a nice reference point for adjusting

1 - 4 of 4 Posts