Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my bike running for a few weeks thanks to you guys. I've been taking it out but it refuses to get above 55 in 6th. Stays around 7.5k rpms.

The performance isn't just 6th, all the gears are pretty bad. For the most part I'm up shifting very quickly compared to what I should be.

I thought (and still think it might be my clutch slipping) I've adjusted clutch cable to have the proper amount of freeplay, I've replaced the clutch friction disks and clutch springs and no luck.

It could be fuel supply issues but my bike is getting up there in RPMs, and doesn't have trouble getting up in RPMs when I open up the throttle, just no acceleration (which makes me think its the clutch).

This is what my spark plugs look like.

https://i.imgur.com/JQDPjqb.png

A little rich, but that could be because I was giving it tons of choke when I was getting it running.

Could my clutch still be slipping even with brand new friction disks and springs?
Is it a carberation issue?

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does the engine speed increase and the road speed stay the same?
No, if i'm going in 6th i usually up shift by 45, and I'm about 5k rpm. I throttle up to 7k rpms and hit 55mph. After that no matter the throttle the engine won't go above 7.5k rpm but i shouldn't need 9k rpm to go highway speed you know?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Do you have the correct sprokets, front and rear? Measure these and compare to spec. In neutral, will the engine rev all the way up? If not, check the carbs and clean the those spark plugs. Check your air filter as well. The first one is about maximum speed assuming there aren't problems with the tranny. The second set are about max torque performance.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Long-distance I have same issue with a rebel 250 I can revs in every gear. But as soon as I hit 55 it bogs out and dies I used to be able to go to 4th and sometimes. Or pull off the road and try again would sometimes help now it does it all the time. How does the bike know I'm going 55 and why is he scared to go more then 55mph? Could Shorty just have a fear of speed?

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
It has to do with the load factor on the engine as well as the rpm, lack of timing advance means the fuel isn't burning at the right time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It has to do with the load factor on the engine as well as the rpm, lack of timing advance means the fuel isn't burning at the right time.
So what would cause Shorty to get cold feet at 55? I have cleaned carbs changed spark plugs gas tank. There is no vacuum advance at least not one that I can find. I tried a cdi from eBay still did it but it was a $20 one.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
That sounds like timing advance but there could easily be other issues. Have you check timing and advance? Is the gearing stock? Compression readings? Mixtures set correctly? Air filter clean? Mufflers not restricted? Etc

·
Registered
25 Posts
That sounds like timing advance but there could easily be other issues. Have you check timing and advance? Is the gearing stock? Compression readings? Mixtures set correctly? Air filter clean? Mufflers not restricted? Etc
Clean filter , stock gearing, where do I find the advance? My venture has a boost sensor with vacuum running to the intake manifold till I put in an AFTERMARKET TCI then it is somehow controlled differently. I have to question the CDI he bought as it was new but only $20.00.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
To check timing advance you'll need a timing light and the FSM to follow the procedure laid out for your year/model.
A $20 CDI is highly questionable

1 - 12 of 12 Posts