Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still on the fence about putting any time or money into this bike.

It's a made-for-only-one-year Honda GL650 Silverwing. I picked it up for $150 as a winter project. I'm questioning my judgement....

DAY 1: It was parked in a garage up until the last couple months. It was running when parked and had been serviced regularly, but had not been run for the last couple years.

I put the key in run and pressed the button- nothing. The ignition switch is flaky; going all the way to run turns everything off, but backing off just a tiny bit gets me the lights on the console. I got a relay to click in the battery compartment (or thereabouts). I put a voltmeter on the battery and had 11.3 which isn't bad, but could be better.

I connected a jump-box to the battery and was getting an authoritative click but no crank, so I put it in gear and rocked it to turn the engine a bit. That got it to crank and it even started and ran for several minutes (sounded pretty good too). Then it stalled and wouldn't restart. It backfired a few times and ran for a few seconds but that was it. I decided not to push it before I had a chance to look at the fuel and air cleaner.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
DAY 2:

I took the baggage off and tried to get the trunk moved back forward but not having any luck.
Found a rodent nest under the passenger seat.
Front wheel does not turn. I think the brake is locked.
I got it running again for a few minutes but several very loud backfires.

In the last pic there is a green wire in the battery box that doesn't seem to have a place to go. It appears to be a ground- accessory ground?

Thoughts? Should I project this bike or just sell it off? My motorcycle experience is pretty slim, although I shouldn't be intimidated by such a project. But I can't even move this bike around (the locked front wheel isn't helping either).

Attachments

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Your brake calipers are most likely seized from sitting for so long. Just loosen them to get the wheel turning then rebuild the calipers.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Or the return port in the master cylinder is plugged. Opening the bleed valve on the caliper will release the brake if that is the problem.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Dude... I'll take it off your hands for $150. A RUNNING bike for $150 that just has a few items to get sorted... EZ.

Reactions: Mainsail and 76TWIN

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Mainsail get rid of the loser attitude. put your big boy pants on grab your tools and get to work. there is enough knowledge on this site to help you thru the build.If you quit on this what will you quit on next. Enough said.

Bill

I would rather regret the things I have done than regret the things I havent done

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I leaning towards doing it, the biggest obstacle so far is making room in the garage. My shed is complete, so once the garden tools are out of the garage I'm hopeful there'll be enough room to get the bike in.

Dude... I'll take it off your hands for $150. A RUNNING bike for $150 that just has a few items to get sorted... EZ.
Well, it's only sorta running. I got it to run for a minute or two, and it sounds OK when it does, but then it stalls and my ears are still ringing from the backfires when I tried to restart it. The last time it was registered was 2010, so I'm guessing that's the last time it was rode hard, before being put away wet...

Carb rebuilds, caliper rebuilds, rust issues; these don't bother me. Getting the seat back on....*that* bothers me. :roll: Sheesh. If I can make room in the garage it'll be my winter project and I'll be riding next spring.

Thanks all! Stay tuned....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, if anyone knows a source for a service manual to download please let me know. Easy to find for my Jeep WK and for my M1009, but not having much luck for this bike.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I hear you on the space in the shop. If my only problem was one of "space" then I would take the dining room table out and put it there till room freed up in the shop. :-D

I spent an entire day in my shop sorting, throwing and re-organizing my "stuff" so that I now have room for another project - Faust my '72 Benelli Mini Enduro.

IMG_20170910_155851221_HDR.jpg

Reactions: Mainsail

·
Registered
342 Posts
I think I have a GL650I manual on my computer.
PM me, I will try to send it to you. I had a GL650I about
6 years ago. I had too many bikes so I sold it. I should have sold
something else, probably the BMW R100RT.

Just something to think about.....
GL650 Cafe Racer.jpg
No not my bike but a dream that I have.

Reactions: Mainsail

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I have a GL650I manual on my computer.
PM me, I will try to send it to you. I had a GL650I about
6 years ago. I had too many bikes so I sold it. I should have sold
something else, probably the BMW R100RT.

Just something to think about.....
View attachment 205345
No not my bike but a dream that I have.
Wow, what a gorgeous bike!

Do you have a link or more info on that?

·
Registered
342 Posts
All I have is that photo but the mods are not too hard to figure out.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
It would be very easy to do that cafe mod. Basically just strip off the fairing and luggage and then put on a new cafe seat.

But if you are feeling a bit more ambitious :)

cafe-racer-5.jpg cafe-racer-2.jpg cafe-racer-4.jpg

Note the spoked wheels.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think I saw a newer book published for restoration of the 500's and the 650's. I was interested at the time of getting a CX500 but ended up with a 1982 CB900c. If you google it you will find it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How about a few basic questions.

Can I get a rebuild kit for the carbs or do I need to piecemeal one together?

Same for the brake calipers; kit available?

Where?

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Parts fiche says caliper pieces are available, as with almost anything Honda it by the piece not a kit.
Very little available for the carbs, not rubber parts kit. Yes there was a kit full of all the usual rubber replacement parts. Possibly Sirius Consolidated?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts