Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 1982 Honda Nighthawk cb450sc that I just picked up a few weeks ago from my buddy for a wonderful price. He didn't drain the oil or the gas for the winter (I'm thinking he messed up, I hope not) The only reason I bought it without starting it is because I was the last one to ride it at the end of last season so I know this bike runs and it runs well !! This is my first bike and I don't know much about it. I have the clymer's manual on the way in the mail can anybody tell me what I need to do to get this bike ride ready as far as the gas and the oil goes and what kind of gas do you guys keeping your vintage bikes? What kind of oil? He's been using premium gas or so he says. Should I stick with that?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
I run non ethanol regular with stabil fuel stabilizer. In some areas only premium is alcohol free but premium isn't necessary.

As for oil, use JASO MA rated oil, I use Rotella T. Oil not rated JASO MA has friction inhibitors that don't do well with a wet clutch, you will get slipping.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even though the gas and the oil sat in it all winter long I should be okay to drain it put fresh in and that should be good to go or should I run something through it to break the gunk down if there is any

·
Registered
459 Posts
When that clymers manual shows up, return it. Someone will PM you a link to the factory service manual soon.

Reactions: J-T

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Welcome to the forum. As stated above, the Clymer's manual doesn't hold a candle to the FSM.

PM sent.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Should have came here first, lol. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
To answer the original question though. 86 octane is fine for fuel, non-ethanol fuel is best but any of it will be fine, there's an Android app called Pure Gas that will tell you where there's enthaol free fuel
Oil is JASO MA rated oil. 10-40W for ambient riding temps up to 85 degrees, 20-50W for higher temps. Some people use Rotella diesel oil which is fine. I use Castrol 4T which I can get at any AutoZone, O'Rielly. some Walmarts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts