Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post, cold day in south-eastern Ohio.
My first street bike was this '82 CM450E (not the '72 CB350 in the photo, that's another project), paid $100 for it around 1994, it was leaning against a shed and had not run in some time. Back then I knew exactly nothing about wrenching, been riding ever since.
I still had this bike when around 2004 when I was riding my '78 CB750K all over creation. On a cold winter night we carried it into the living room, had some beer, and cut the rear portion of the frame off and mounted a solo seat and such....
I sold the bike to a fella hard up for wheels, he parked it somewhere later (probably as loan collateral) and promptly left town forever. The guy who was holding it left it leaning in a barn rotting for 15 years (even though I offered to buy it back many times).
Finally one day he just brought it to me out of the blue and gave it back to me. Looking ROUGH. Tank had rusted holes in it, flat rear wheel buried in mud, etc...
This will be the focus of my thread.
Hope there are still lots of members out there to swap ideas with!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My first street bike in 1994, this CM450E was found leaning against a shed in disorder, paid $100 and started learning the hard way how to wrench (the only way). Rode it for years (overdrive was sweet) and eventually began riding CB750's. My buddy and I chopped the tail of the frame one night (without to much forethought) and slapped a solo seat on there for fun.

The bike was sold to a fella who left it for collateral or something, parked out the hills, and then left town. I offered to buy it back many times and gave up. The guy let it sit in a crappy barn for 15 years and THEN decided to just give it back to me (thanks). Flat tire sank in the mud, tank rusted holes in itself, etc..

I had little trouble repairing the corroded carb and got it running again. The wheel required replacing a few spokes since the inside of the wheel had rust. I cleaned and cleaned the tank and used the 2-part Caswell Epoxy to line it. (Cant overstate how good that stuff is, basically a new gas-proof clear tank inside the old one. It will fill the pinholes for good, just be careful when working on older tanks with the cross-over tube below)
anyway, the bike runs and rides. Now I have decided to join the forum in an effort to finish the hack-job from way back when..

I picked up a cheap cafe seat to use as the basis for the rest of the fabrication, should be arriving today.
Not a whole lot of definitive stuff out there for these CM bikes as far as modifications, but I have seen a couple of guys that managed it. The drop-seat style frame with its formed metal rear subframe adds a lot of challenge compared to the tubular CB style frames.
Some guys remove the entire subframe and fab everything off the tube section, but I want to attempt to use everything from the shock mounts forward to make it manageable.
Here is what I am working with. More pics later when the seat arrives.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Motorcycle

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle

1 - 3 of 3 Posts