Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there I bought a 81 cm400t with a 400a motor and transmission. When bike is in neutral the indicator doesn't indicate neutral but does when bike is in 2nd gear. I'm thinking it's the neutral switch on the transmission but not 100%. The bike kick starts in neutral but won't fire with the electric start. (I'm assuming b/c it doesn't indicate nuetral) The gauges on the bike are from the 400t but the switch is from the 400a.... not sure if there is a compatibility issue there. Also I have found a new switch on eBay but it's from a 400t hawk, again not sure if there would be a compatibility issue there. Any help would be much appreciated

·
Registered
233 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The neutral switches are model specific. A models and T models are different and 5 speed to 6 speed are different.
Be sure the aluminum sealing washer is in place also when changing the switch,otherwise the transmission will be locked.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
20150611_223132.jpg

They guy I bought bike from says the neutral switch is from a cm400a but may be no good. In your opinion than would you think it would rather be the fact that the switch is connected to a 400T instrument guage indicator. In other words would you swap the Guage or the switch

·
Registered
55 Posts
if you have an CM400A motor I'd swap to an CM400A gauge. but you may have other issues. There are many model specifc parts on the "A" that may give you issues if they were not added when the motor was swapped out. I am not sure what the gauges look like on the "T" but if your gauge shows only neutral, 1st and 2nd indicator lights it maybe thatyou already have the "A" gauge.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The neutral switch is a grounding switch. Power is supplied through the light bulb to the switch which creates a ground in the right position. Not all switches are bad, a lot of times they have old gummy oil in them that can be cleaned out by spraying carb cleaner and air in them

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, I'll try cleaning the switch and if that doesn't work I'll grab a 400a gauge off eBay. The gauges are not the same from the 400t to the 400a and my bike has the 400t gauge. I appreciate all the input!

·
Registered
18 Posts
This happened to me today on my 79 CM400T. I know it was in neutral, but the light would not come on. The electric start only worked if I pulled in the clutch. Hope this works for you. Or you could always fix the problem. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
This happened to me today on my 79 CM400T. I know it was in neutral, but the light would not come on. The electric start only worked if I pulled in the clutch. Hope this works for you. Or you could always fix the problem. Good luck!
You lost the ground in the neutral switch, either the switch is loose in the case, wire is disconnected or the the switch is bad. At least you know the clutch switch is good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I tried cleaning the switch but it didn't seem to be dirty or stuck, it seems to be in fine shape. Again, the bike has the Guage from the 400t but the switch from the 400a amd indictates nuetral when in 2ND gear only. I have a guage ordered and on the way from a 400a but I'm starting to wonder if I will need new wiring from the switch to the gauge. Does anyone know if it is a single wire or two wires coming off the 400a switch? I've been hearing some bikes have 1 and some have 2.... also the Guage has about 4 wires coming off the back of it so that throws me for a bit of a loop. Again any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
My understanding is the lights are controlled by the change relay and the switch signal the relay. Not sure hos many wires on the A switch, 400 manuals are a single(N), 450's with the 6 speed are 2 wire(N & 6th)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts