Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So pretty much I have my old swing arm off. Don't know why I suddenly miss it lol. I was gauging the look and fitment of a CBR F3 and F4i 600 swingarms. They both will "fit" with a tad bit of ingenuity. So the F4i arm leaves a gap on both sides from the center. The gap, I didn't measure, maybe 1-1/2" to 2-1/4" inches. The swingarm bolt is WAYYY too big to fit, so I came up with this thought. Would it make a difference if the stock bolt from the CM was used in conjunction with custom thicker bushings? The stock CM bushing can fit inside of the F4i. I'm definitely looking to rebush the F3 because the size is extremely close on those pictures.

Anyone know if it is safe or can provide an alternative solution, that'd be great. Also, given that it may be okay. I'll totally need someone to machine the bushings lol.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
623 Posts
My initial thought is that the stock swing arm pivot bolt is engineered the be safe with the stock bike. So unless you're going to either 1) significantly add to the weight borne by the swing arm pivot bolt, or 2) significantly increase the forces applied to the swing arm pivot bolt, you should be okay with just machining up some bushings.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Visit Google and enter these search terms "mono shock hondatwins project logs" and the click the more from honda twins. You'll find several projects that have been completed, most notable is the one from "Nerdsports"

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Visit Google and enter these search terms "mono shock hondatwins project logs" and the click the more from honda twins. You'll find several projects that have been completed, most notable is the one from "Nerdsports"
I've been completely front and back with nerdsports' build. He used the stock swingarm and added a mount and "support". But I will check for others other than taz and another I was following.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking back at Taz's post, I see he used long reach drill bit to bore out the swing arm pivot to accompany the CBR F2 bolt. IMO I don't think the bolt is that much bigger as opposed to the F4i.

There won't be much, in fact it may be less, weight added on. Which is why I was suggesting the custom bushings. Which could totally already exist if I knew said measurements. The overall size if the F4i with the ID of the CM.

Also, LDR, this brings in my speculation of another route. Please understand, I want this bike to be beautiful as well as safe and functional. That said, I've been also looking at the NT650 one-sided swing arm. Wondering if the bolt size is in fact the same as the stock CM. I'll have to reread thru Jared's thread to see if he's sheds any light. He ended up cutting into his frame something serious. But another guy on DTT, that did the build for a customer, made his look effortless however he has no build thread in regards to it and he has yet to log back in to answer the question(s) I Pm'd him. I really do love the sleekness of the NT650 swing arm. Boosts you up into badassery almost immediately.

SN: Did I mention I'm retro-fitting a fuel level sensor? The cheapo aftermarket gauge has a level. Might as well utilize it right? Lol.

PS LDR, got a brand new ignition coil. Putting it on in the AM. If this doesn't work, we'll need to exchange numbers or arrange a Skype date to get this figured out lol.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
That's the problem with so many build threads; great ideas, some rough description, a few photos and then the information stops. No idea of how things were actually done, what was needed, or the end of it and the real world application.
Might be some info here to work with CX500 very "Special" with single sided swing arm! - Page 9

·
Registered
1 Posts
I registered here just to ask this:
Can someone explain what the negatives to a single shock are, and why you couldn't use one of the stock ones as your mono shock? I have a cm400t, and love the look of this, but it seems A) Easy, just mount some brackets (weld) and center it, and B) Like it must have some disadvantages.
Can someone help me understand why you can't use the stock shock for this and why this isn't as simple as it looks?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts