Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been getting lots of great info from this site and decided it was time to get up on here.

Just gonna start with some pictures and the work I've done to get rolling on this baby.

PO got it from somewhere where it sat for a long time, had recent receipts for a carb cleaning and put new tires on it, but it's been running for the past two years especially after I put in some work:

Oil/brake fluid change, new chain, new f/r sprockets (went taller than stock with 18/37), front MC rebuild & rear brake shoe replacement. I found quite a bit of old gas in the airbox when I did this work (~200 miles ago), cleaned it out best I could without removing it and haven't noticed a build up since.

This is my first moto and I'm learning as I go, so I have definitely been putting off engine work, but just today I found some seepage around the head gasket seal and it seems like a good enough sign that I've put tearing this bike apart off for too long.

Anyway, you came here for pictures (taken when I first got the bike last July)

IMG_20170707_235005 (1).jpg
IMG_20170707_235023.jpg
IMG_20170707_235137.jpg
IMG_20170707_235217.jpg
IMG_20170710_162324.jpg .

·
Registered
399 Posts
Great looking bike. You're going to need a proper Factory Service Manual for your project. PM sent.

Reactions: clementrd

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Great to see another 400 series here (and such a nice one as well).

Reactions: clementrd

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Some head gasket seepage is normal, until it becomes a leak don't be concerned. Just clean it off and keep an eye on it.
There are 2 hoses coming out of the bottom of the air box, they exit on the right side about where the center stand pivots. There are plugs in the hoses. Each oil change you remove those plugs to drain the air box. Be sure to have a pan underneath them. Re-install the plugs when done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jim, I need to start a project thread for this, but I drained these and wiped out the airbox when I changed my oil ~200 mi ago and checked the tubes tonight with no fluid build up. Carb overflow tubes both had a little bit of gas coming out when I fiddled with them though.

In the corner here you can see where the gas is seeping into the airbox, and a small amount of build up under the separator.

c9b8431c315c55a5daaf961313b62555.jpg

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts