Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an 1981 cm400c, was driving it one day all was fine. The next time I went to start it, the bike refused to crank or turn over. The solenoid didn't click either. I baught. Aused solenoid and still nothing, so I baught a new one assuming the used was junk and still nothing. We are getting voltage down to the solenoid activation wires, the bike will start and run by jumping the solenoid posts, when I press the start button the headlight goes out, voltage goes to the solenoid but no crank. I was wondering if Im not getting enough amperage to the solenoid hat it's not activatibg? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Have you tried it while pulling in the clutch?
You need a good ground from either the neutral switch or the clutch switch.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The Green wire off the solenoid has to see ground. Temporarily jump it to the negative battery terminal. If it cranks then you have a ground problem, neutral switch, clutch switch or the diode. Neutral switch can be grounded at the switch terminal, clutch switch can be jumpered for diagnosis. Diode has to be tested with ohm meter

The mention of clutch lever pulled by Dan is because we don't know the knowledge level of each person so we tend to cover the basics first

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Today I confirmed that it was my clutch sensor on the handlebars. I unplugged the terminals and inserted a fuse to safely short them together therefore bypassing he sensor. But beware if u do this you CAN start the bike in gear and it can take off and be dangerous. If anyone else chooses to do this do so at your own risk. I also cleabed the contacts and the switch seems to be hit or miss, I'm assuming the problem lies within the internals. The bike was dumped prior to me owning it. Guessing that is where the problem originated and it finally wore down enough o cause issues. Anyt heights how to fix?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts