Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Ran into an issue today where my brake light was always lit up. I had just finished replacing the back wheel so I figured it was the rear switch assembly. Took the switch apart and seen that I had continuity on the two leads even without them touching so must have been an issue with the front. (Unfortunately I destroyed the switch getting it apart and has to order a new one).

Went to check the fronts and noticed the front brake lever wasn’t going back enough after releasing the brake and it wasn’t closing the contacts and shutting off the light. Figured it was a simple adjustment needed and for out my Clymer manual and went at it.

After an hour or so of trying to adjust I just can’t get it right. It’s either too loose at the handle and doesn’t snap back to the starting position or it’s too tight and I can’t get the play that the manual says I needed (an inch or so if movement before the brakes apply). I’m worried that when it’s too tight the brakes will lock up way too easily but I can’t see any other way to adjust it properly.

Anyone run into this issue? Any pointers??

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
This sounds like a brake adjustment issue, Clymer may not be helpful there. PM sent for the Honda FSM.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link. Great resources in there. Took a little read through though and doesn’t seem like I was doing anything wrong when adjusting but still having the issue. Either too tight or no play. Can the cables become stretched? What are the symptoms of a bad cable?

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Did you lube the cable?

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Cables will stretch over time under tension. Since these type of cables aren't under constant tension there's little if any chance of stretch. The cable itself may be failing with broken wires inside the housing.
For lubing the cable you can use 3 in 1 oil, any very light thin oil will do. It's best to remove the cable completely so you can hold one end high and be able to work the cable back and forth with each oil apply. Keep adding oil and working it until oil starts coming out the bottom end.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. Lubed the cable today. Still can’t seem to get the damn thing adjusted properly though. Seems extremely touchy locks up with just a little bit of tension on it. Cable seemed in fine shape so not quite sure what else to do at this point.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Only thing I can think of left would be the actual brake shoe adjustment, possibly a bad installation of shoes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just dealt with something extremely close to your problem. I found that where the cable connects to the arm there was a slight bend in the cable causing it to not pull back into the casing easily. I oiled an old cable I had and replaced it and also replaced the brake arm return spring . Problem gone. So I would say it's either the cable is kinked, bent or damaged even slightly bent still caused the problem or maybe you have a weak return spring

·
Registered
5 Posts
Also what helped for me was bushing the brake arm at the wheel by hand if it doesn't spring back easily then you can start looking for where it's binding if it does spring back easily then the problem could even be the pivot screw on the handle needs lubing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts