Honda Twins banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought I would start my thread for what I am doing with my first bike for fun and if anyone has any tips/suggestions along the way feel free. I'm new, I'm learning, and having fun while i'm at it.
What I got: 1980 CM400T, had a different tank, handlebars, turn indicators, brake light (this was a POS, cracked, tapped, and no running light), new upgraded shocks, recovered and reshaped stock seat.
PO said, the engine was swapped for '83 nighthawk. after looking into it (after I bought the bike and let it sit for the winter) and with some help from folks here, it "may" be a different engine from the original but its not a nighthawk, its another CM400T. which is fine. it runs, and has a few leaks, but i'll get to that some day.

Thanks and take care.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
New Handlebars, grips, mirrors, seat, tail light, and misc.

the previous handlebars were uncomfortable and the controls hit the tank on both sides and didn't allow me to have a very good turn radius in either direction, they had to go. Installed Renthal's Ultra Low black.
was a night and day difference for me. very comfortable and no more control interference.

Grips are biltwell something or others, amazon 2am purchase. I was unaware they were shorter than my originals (of course after i cut off the previous grips), so I had to trim the throttle sleeve and trim down the edge near the controls on the grips because they extended out past the controls and was a no go. so basically i mauled the grips, but turned out pretty good. I also knocked out holes on either ends for the bar end mirrors i got off amazon. came out really well.

had the seat shaved down and recovered with some stitching added with gold thread to match the gold decal of the tank by local upholster shop.

the tail light had to go, this thing was junk and didn't have a running light anyways. It was probably an old trailer light the PO threw on to have something there. I picked up a LED bates style black light from rycamotors.com and hooked it up. the fender was chopped at somepoint so i didnt have much room to work with. had to cut the LP bracket, and the LP itself to fit the little guy, but its perfect now just what i wanted.

Oil change, new filter, adjusted and oiled the drive chain, lubricated the control cables and adjusted with new set up.

next up:

the important stuff now that its not so damn cold, i can do more than just the cosmetic stuff.

balance carbs, check compression, check valve clearance, adjust balancer chain, etc....all the new to you bike items listed on here already.

I'd like to at some point to change the guages and get a more modern look, at least a lower profile, maybe an all in one unit. update the headlight to an LED, update the battery, and clean up the engine and its covers at some point. lots I want to do, lots I need to do. but i'm going to take it slow and learn to ride and do things right for repair and updates.

Thanks and till next time.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
CAM Chain, compression test, carb sync

Today I balanced the cam chain, compression check on both cylinders and synced the carbs. I bought a compression gauge from Innova thru Amazon.

INNOVA 3612 Compression Tester - 4 Piece Kit
https://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3612-Compression-Tester-Piece/dp/B000EVU89I

Im not sure they are accurate. I got 140psi and 130psi, but I would imagine the bike would run pretty poor if they are true readings, but so far it's run pretty well for me. So I feel something (my technique or equipment) may be off. Plugs look alright, might be a bit rich. I'll attach pics, please let me know what ya think. Carb sync went fine, used:

AlphaMoto Vacuum Carburetor Synchronizer Carb Sync Gauge
https://www.amazon.com/AlphaMoto-Va...22421551&sr=1-1&keywords=alpha+moto+carb+sync

Well I'll try to post a video and pics. Let me know what you think of you hear or see something I don't. Thanks and be safe.

here's a link to my at idle after warmed up.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mGJ4iVF7jdtvfqgn1

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First Trip out this year

It was a balmy 42 degrees today so i said why the hell not. got the bike on the road for a bit today. mostly ran pretty good. I noticed though when getting into 2nd, the response was sluggish and puttered a bit, then would take off. not sure what the issue may be. getting to rich a mixture? i'll have to see if it continues. I also noticed a little popping or backfire when really getting on it then letting off, not sure if thats normal or what. this bike is still pretty new to me so have to see what the first full season gets me into.

got my replacement tach seal today, so will hopefully replace that in the next few days and stop that leak. also go the gearshift bar/lever gasket on its way (the bike was layed down at least once, so i'm confident the bar is bent, hoping new gasket fixes the leak for now), will swap that out too.

so looks like i may have lost my keys. damn it, im hoping they just are in a pocket somewhere and not lost for good. if so, new switch and will need a locksmith to open up the gas tank and I have no idea what the gas tank is off of, not original is all i know. just one of those days.

be safe and take care.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Key code is stamped on one of the ignition switch mounting ears and also on the backside of the helmet lock.

·
Registered
460 Posts
How are you testing compression? You should be testing a hot engine, air filter removed and throttle wide open.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
longdistancerider, thanks for tip. may save me one headache if I can get key code off the mounting ears. the helmet lock was removed by PO.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HamHock, followed the FSM (at least thought i was), the engine was hot/warm, the throttle was open, but i did not remove the air filter. I'll give this another shot, hopefully when I find the keys soon or get new ones :(

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Alright, thankfully I found my keys, multiple copies made the same day.

I got around to changing out both the tach oil seal & shift shaft oil seal and replaced the crankcase gasket while I had it off. These were all fairly simple projects with no issues. I didn't have a chance to get it on the road after completed to see if the leaks have stopped but soon enough.

Next up, I plan to check the valve clearance and recheck the compression. maybe dial in the pilot screws afterward. Would most of you replace the valve cover gasket while you have it off for a new to you bike?

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
I've re-used mine many times. As long as it is still pliable and not leaking, it should be good to use again. Be careful with the 10mm head bolts on the cover. I've seen many over torque them and the snap right off. If you do replace the cover gasket, get a couple of new rubbers for the cover bolts. The rubbers are what keep the tension on the cover.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've re-used mine many times. As long as it is still pliable and not leaking, it should be good to use again. Be careful with the 10mm head bolts on the cover. I've seen many over torque them and the snap right off. If you do replace the cover gasket, get a couple of new rubbers for the cover bolts. The rubbers are what keep the tension on the cover.
Thanks, I'll order some to have on hand to replace if needed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts