Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
New here, so here’s my introduction. I’m a new Honda owner, bought this bike a couple months ago for a project and to see what I could do as far as building goes. Had a couple old Sportsters and a Ducati in the past, but wanted to build something from scratch basically, so I picked up this CM for $600 with the intention of building a brat/ cafe style bike to get around town with. The build has been going well up until now, but I’ve encountered an issue. It was starting and running ok, bit of a high idle, so I tinkered with the mixture screws a bit, but couldn’t quite get it right. Then I was out of town for a couple days, I came back and the bike wouldn’t start. Just a clicking noise from the starter relay. Ordered a new one, and I soaked the carbs in acetone for a couple days while I waited, cleaned em up, and put em back together. Threw the new relay in today along with new throttle cables, still the same clicking from the relay and nothing else. It’s really starting to get to me, the bike started up no problem before and I don’t remember messing with the wiring at all in between it starting and not. Help me please!!!
(Pics are before and after, taken a couple weeks ago, has taillight now and is street legal ?)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Welcome aboard.
Get the battery charged and load tested. If that's good then install it making sure the battery connections are clean and tight. See what happens from there and report

·
Registered
60 Posts
I agree, if it clicks it's usually a "good" sign, but if the battery discharged over such a short time you might also want to check if you have any leak when the bike is off, by connecting an ammeter between the battery and one of the wires (usually positive?) and seeing if there is any current flowing when the key is in the off position

Bike looks nice anyway!!! :thumbsup: I also had/have a Sportster which I completely restyled (had to "sell" it to my brother when I moved to Denmark because it was impossible to take it with me because of the huge import tax...) which models did you have?

Cheers!!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Charge up the battery. Check battery voltage with no load (key off), should be around 12.5 volts. If bike will start, check voltage at battery terminals with the bike at idle, and with the revs up around 2500-3000 rpm. Should see an idle voltage around 12 volts, rising to 13 or 13.5 volts with the revs up. More than that, the voltage regulator isn't doing its job and your battery is getting overcharged, which will boil off electrolyte until the battery won't work. If the voltage remains at 12 volts or goes lower with the bike at idle, the charging system isn't doing its job.. This can be anything from dirty / loose connectors to a bad stator. This isn't a complete test, but it'll help narrow things down.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update! So it was the battery, I got a new one. Threw it in and now it turns over, won’t start up though. Tank is hooked up. Also when I opened the petcock, after turning it over the carbs started leaking a bit from somewhere in between, so I closed it again. More to be revealed tomorrow, too dark to work now though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts