Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know. This has been posted before but I still can't find an answer. On my '80 CM400E I want to install shorter rear shocks As I'm a little Vertically Challenged. If I'm reading right the original shocks are 12 11/16 long. The ones I'm looking at are 11 3/8 long. I guess I have to lower the front end also. Is it a question of getting the bottom frame even to the floor, front to back ?

·
Sensei
27,023 Posts
A bit more detailed than that.....Phone me.........

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I called but I didn't wait for your response ! Lol. I'll get together with you later !

·
Super Moderator
24,208 Posts
The forks can only be moved @3/4" up. More than that and the sliders will bottom out on the lower triple under full compression = locked front suspension

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well......I was off on the reasons I wanted a lower bike. I called Steve last night and we were on the phone for a while. Steve told me to take my seat off and put a couple towels in place of the seat. Guess what ? Too low !! Lol !!

I had forgotten my previous bikes.....been too many years. Now I'm sure the other 400 owners here love this seat but to me it's the ugliest, most uncomfortable seat I've ever sat on ! I've ridden nicer Go Karts !

103_6692.JPG

And while I sat on the bike, with or without the seat, the handlebars are uncomfortable too.
This was my nice riding 360 I bought brand new. 73 or 74. Loved the red !!

img_NSAWQHEQZZ.jpg

Ugly box seat but I remember riding the hell out of it and I never got tired ! Of course that was 40 years ago !
And of course I had to trade that in !!

Honda_CB400_Four_cropped.JPG

And that Yellow 4 cyl. got the plates ! What a quiet, smooth running bike. And both of those bikes had the low rise handlebars !!

These are the bars I ride with now !!

68876283_1111196262601237_4487663722449338368_n.jpg

Steve thought maybe those bars were bothering my writs. And of course he was right !
So it looks like I'm getting a seat and a set of bars ! Guess I'll get a project Log started !

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And Steve saved me a lot of time and money with a 1/2 hour phone call ! Thanks Steve !!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just got my new bars, plus grips, plus 1" risers.......may not need them, but just in case. Bars are like these Euros.......

HB-12-handlebars-satin-black-european-motorcycle__09995.1540437736.1280.1280.jpg

Seat will be something similar to a Brat Seat.........

honda-cb450-2.jpg

Not much padding in those seats but I sat on a Suzuki yesterday with a seat like that and as I'm only about 130 it felt comfortable. So I'll get one from Texavina.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts