Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it begins.
I finally picked up the bike earlier this week.

my plan is to make a bobber. it is in rough shape but not terrible. it will idle and run, but wont go faster than 5-10 mph.
i already took the carbs out and started to clean them up.

first question, are all the cm400 carbs the same? if so, what years?
on ebay i found 2 kits for a good price, but it only says it is for a '81 cm400t/a/c
i think this kit will be good, i just want to verify...

my intro thread:
http://www.hondatwins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3296&start=0

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
The CM and CB 400s all have the same carbs BUT some of them MAY have a different float needle although I think this is more likely if you get a set of carbs from a CX/GL500, CB650, CB900 etc as they all use the same carb body.

Jets are a different matter. The CMs and CBs in different years use different jet sizes. If you have the Clymers manual it lists which ones use which size. Your 1980 CM400A uses a 68 primary and a 112 secondary. The 80/81 CM400T uses a 72/118.

Of course, I haven't gotten into my own carbs yet, just read about them, so everything I tell you is JMO. I'm hoping that by the time I get to mine you guys will have taught me enough to make it go smoothly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^ so saying the jets from the '81 are a bit larger... maybe that will help me out since i am going to go with pods instead of the stock air box?
is that too big of a difference in size? i think i will try it out...

i was messing around with the rear end. i was jacking it up to see how low i can make it.. so i know the dimensions of the solid struts so i can make them.
anyone know what size solid struts to put on it? looks like a strut with the holes 10" on-center will be good and low, but then i gotta think about ground clearance. i may experiment with some cheap pipe or something just so i can see how low it sits.

in the pics you can see i took off the rear fender and stuff. i will be trying to sell most of these parts if anyone is interested... for those guys that are looking for stock parts, just message me or something..

oh, did i mention that i am going to put on apes?? :twisted:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what size pods do i need? and which are the best? so far, i think k&n would be the best choice... just want to verify

updated pics:

slammed. lowered as low as it will go. yeah, that is uni strut :oops: it's just for a mock up right now. will be making struts with 1/4" (maybe thinner) steel or aluminum...

airbox removed. seems like honda built the entire bike around the damn thing! took a while to remove.

fork seals, carb kits, headlight ears, and springer solo seat on the way. :cool:

i will be getting rid a bunch of stock stuff: seat, rear fender and light, chain guard, airbox, shocks, etc. pm if you need anything, not like i'll be asking a lot. just want to get stuff out of the garage and put it in someone's hands who would like... and this list will be growing as i continue to work on it. if you have something you need to get rid of that i am use let me know, we can work out a trade or something. will be posting up stuff in the trade/for sell forum soon with pics.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i havent had much time to work on the bike. :oops: but i have been doing some cosmetic things to it.

i made the struts and made the kick stand shorter since the bike is now super low.

then i chopped the rear subframe. I also mocked up the seat and fender. I started cutting the fender and figuring out how to mount it but called it quits.

I took off the pipes and center stand if anyone is interested just send me a PM.

I am still deciding whether to keep the stock tank or go with a teardrop/sportster tank or something like that... I cannot find a tank with a wide enough tunnel for the backbone of the bike. anyone have any suggestions?

oh, i need to get into those carb's but i keep procrastinating. i have the rebuild kits but just dont want to take on the task :x

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After three years I finally really got on it. I got the hondamatic running yesterday. I hadn't really spent much time on it.

I rebuilt the carbs and mounted up the sporty tank with a new petcock, kicked it twice and it started and ran. I suspect I have an air leak where the carbs mount up. I didn't replace the o rings where the carbs mount up, so I'll start there.

I should have done this 3 years ago. But life happens. In the past 3 years i had a 95 Vulcan 800, 97 blackbird, 06 Vulcan 2000, and now all I have is the 'matic and my 2012 sportster 72 I bought last summer.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Welcome back, i saw in your build thread that you may sell the rear fender and stuff, but i also noticed it was a couple yeears ago, still have them?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts