Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The hardest job I have done on this bike was cutting away the plastic backing to the tail light because a nut was frozen!

On a car where everything is exposed and a coil looks like a coil I know to hook one lead to the positive side of the coil and the other to any handy ground. Is there a way to do this without removing the tank on this bike? I am working mostly in a garage with a flashlight so nothing is very obvious.

Thank you,
Justin

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Coil is pretty buried under the tank, you're looking for Black w/White wire to the coil, Black from the coil goes to the points.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
More than two months later I am getting back to the bike. I tried to squeeze a test lamp probe into the connector on the black and white wire under the coil but that wasn't successful. I also tried a more semi permanent 2" extension between the two ends that meet at that connector. Still no read. I have to tell you that I am using an automotive tune up tach with settings for 4,6,and 8 cylinders. I assumed that set on 4 I'd get a read that I'd half to get the rpm for the two. What am I missing.

What follows is now old info. I swapped plugs after putting a dummy on the left side and getting a spark but no spark from the old plug. Once swapped that cylinder started running and smoked for quite a bit. Smoke slowed but also noticed I have an exhaust leak at the manifold. Another question that I have not hunted for is that while I had exhaust out of both pipes, today I only had one exhaust pipe get hot. The other one had the same rhythmic pulse of air but didn't warm up. Idle did slow and threaten to stall if I pulled the plug from the cold side. Should it be running like Cadillac's infamous V4-6-8? I doubt it. Any ideas? I am happy that there is almost no smoke. I can smell it more than I can see it.

Still running rich but it likes the choke more than it should. Once I get an idea of my idle speed I fiddle with the mixture.

Thanks once more,
Justin

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
I apologize for my screw up. The tach lead for points ignition goes on the points side of the coil, not the power side like I wrote. CDI ignitions use the power side.
I think you'll get a proper reading on the 4 cylinder scale since this is a wasted spark ignition, fires every revolution.
Having an air pulse from the cold side is good and normal, think air compressor. Air/fuel is drawn in, compressed, ignited and expelled. You just happen to be missing the ignition/fire portion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts