Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[*]UPDATE: The bike is done! To save you from scrolling around...

I have no idea what to call this thing. I had lots of inspiration but the stock frame pretty much ruined it for me. After one text message, the direction changed and the label/style was lost.

Night I picked it up.

Fresh gas, new plugs, and mildly clean carbs got her running this night.

After some disassembling, I finally had it the ugly factory stamped metal.

This is when things changed. Got this 2006 CBR600RR front end.

As if the stamped metal wasn't ugly enough, the frame loops just never sat right with me.

Front end was tough so the rear had to match. [in progress shot of the mono shock brace]

That's it for now!

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Re: 79 Honda CM400T - Sporty on a budget

Very Interesting! :shock:

Welcome to the group.

·
Registered
88 Posts

subscribed...this one will be interesting to watch. :twisted:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Rough cut on the top edge of the top shock mount.

Tacked on.

Rear angle shot.

Best part is that it worked. I have an R6 shock coming that has the reservoir mounted behind the spring rather than off to the side like this CBR shock.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts

Nice work, similar to the setup on the GL500. I'm curious as to whether you think you'll need to beef up the swingarm?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

J-T said:
Nice work, similar to the setup on the GL500. I'm curious as to whether you think you'll need to beef up the swingarm?
Never knew that about the GL500. I'm new to Honda motorcycles. I've thought about the swingarm flexing but I don't know if it'll be a big issue since it's a small, light bike and it'll be a solo rider setup. I'll address it after I get some miles on it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: 79 Honda CM400T - Nerdsports Racer

Here are some updates - got the stem bearings in (tapered rollers), the tube bender is setup for making the seat tail/bracing, tank is mounted, ordered CB400 rear passenger peg mount brackets for rearsets.

Changed the shock from the all black CBR unit to an R6 because the reservoir/accumulator is mounted differently.

Profile shot

My buddy SOKFAB turned these for me. Counterbored bungs for the headlight bracket.

Made these fork clamps for the headlight bracket setup.

XL500 tank came in.

I like this profile of the tank most.

Stock coil tucks nicely under the raised tunnel of the XL tank.

My bikes.

More coming very soon!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

While I wait on access to my friend's tube bender to fabricate the seat frame/tail, I figured I'd replace the CM400 peg brace/swingarm mount/i dont know with one from a CB400 which integrates the rear passenger peg into a nice one piece mount. Unfortunately, they're not as plug & play as I had expected.

I only got a picture of the right side which had 2 bolt holes line up.

To make the left side fit I will have to drill a new hole into bracing that's underneath the peg braces. It'll only have 2 mounting locations which makes me extremely uneasy since the swingarm pivot is secured to them. They're going to require much more work than I anticipated. Should've made them one-off. :?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

So I got two bolts on each side for the CB400 peg braces. Need to shave the back of the right side so it sits flush rather than using a spacer on the swingarm bolt. In addition, I'll be adding a third mounting point so it's triangulated. In any case - pictures.

Right (pretty much the same as my last post lol)

Left

And an extra pic. I made this little build board for the project.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Adding a third mounting point for the peg braces

Picked up all black UNI pods

Finally fabricated the seat tail/frame. Went with an angular frame to match the blockiness of the tank.

Mounted it but still needs support. Trying to find a way to keep it empty/clean underneath.

Another angle

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

The stance (minus the seat padding which will be ~2-2.5" thick)

Shots of the final tail structure. Surprisingly sturdy.

Battery arrived. (not crazy about Stella, only beer I had at home for size comparison lol)

Currently working on the fuel tank. Welded up the petcock hole and going to add 2 feed tubes from either side of the tank going to a 2-1 fuel cut off valve. Also need to remove the rust inside the tank. I've heard vinegar works well just takes some time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

iismatthew said:
Looks like it would be a surprisingly comfortable ride with the seat/tank/bar combo you have going. Seems I need to just move back to Florida. Lots of sweet bikes coming out of the south.
Where in Florida were you from? The vintage bike scene is definitely growing quickly... something I never expected.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts