Honda Twins banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may have seen my first thread, when I was (still) having troubles with the mechanical side of things. Decided to make a new one for another topic, as is the right thing to do. Anyhow, my CM400T came with a pre-destroyed ignition key switch up front, and better yet-- no key. Now I was about to go buy a new switch with the respective new keys but noticed that there are two other spots where a key is used: the seat lock and the steering lock. My question is, since I will be needing the original key, how do I get an ignition switch that matches? If I can find the original key ( I've heard searching the VIN or something) Should I just run a new switch with its own key and use the new original for the others? Probably sounds silly but I'm a little stuck on this. Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
The switch itself, or the key, has a code on it. If you can find a supplier that has a new switch with the same code you could use the same key. Otherwise you're stuck using two keys.

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
My 1981 CM 400 is the only bike I bought with keys. It has one for ignition, one for helmet lock/steering lock, and one for gas cap.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
If you still have the original switch the key code is stamped/melted on the bottom side of one of the mounting ears for the ignition switch. I heard the code is also stamped somewhere on the helmet lock but have never looked for it

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
IIRC, the number for the helmet lock is behind the lock assembly. What looks like a rivet, is actually a threaded bolt with no hex on it. I just use vise grips on it.

Reactions: Ed Zeppeli

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
IIRC, the number for the helmet lock is behind the lock assembly. What looks like a rivet, is actually a threaded bolt with no hex on it. I just use vise grips on it.
I replaced that smooth-headed bolt with an allen head bolt. Wouldn't want a helmet thief to have to carry around something as bulky as a vise grip!:wink:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Order a new ignition switch on line, about $22.00 forget the other locks they are always keyed different from the ignition switch and carry your helmet in with you that explains your messed up hair.:D

Reactions: longdistancerider

·
Registered
475 Posts
Good advice LDrider. A helmet lock is like locking a paper bag.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Beside theft I watched a couple of bikes with helmets secured in their locks on the side of the seat get knocked over by a car. Guess what kept the back of the bike from being damaged? Not only did they need to fix some minor damage to the bikes but now they got to decide which new helmet they wanted.
Some helmet locks do serve as a seat lock but I've never heard of a seat being stolen.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So the ignition key is NOT the right key for the other locks? Good to know, I was going to get a new original set. I thought the helmet lock was for the seat. I can do without those looks for now, my town is quite safe. I'll go ahead and get the new ignition switch and keys. Thanks guys for your input.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Originally one key worked everything, ignition, helmet and steering locks and gas cap for those equipped with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts