Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states I want to look into getting rid of this H box... Mine is pretty well rusted out. Yes I've read it's critical to performance and scavenging. I just want to know how in-depth it would be for me to replace it with straight pipes and new mufflers. Other than new jets, what are the other adjustments people speak of?

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Would you consider getting a balance pipe added by an exhaust shop? I made my own exhaust and added a balance pipe to it. It might be the same as standard, but my bike runs perfectly through the rev range.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The exhaust gasses will expand into the balance pipe which cancels out some of the sound. Typically you'll loose some of the annoying high frequency sound.

·
Registered
342 Posts
It may be because I am thrifty, some call it cheap, but I choose to keep stock air box and H box on my bikes.
All these mods are more trouble that they are worth, in my opinion. However my '79 CB400T is currently running
straight off the H box with some chrome exhaust tips meant for a car or truck. Sounds OK until I decide what
I really want to put on it. My CX500 had gutted stock mufflers with the H box and it is not loud at all.
There again, cheap or thrifty???

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'm with Old Okie here. Cheap, no trouble, no rejeting and looks good to me. Just time and little bit of paint.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Yes, a straight thru system with a collector junction below where the rear brake/kick starter would be, but the headers have a rolled "restriction" at this junction end. The silencer has baffles/chambers.

Note, the left header seems to suffer from corrosion quite badly but if your bike lives "inside", then they do not suffer so much.

I believe that MOTAD has gone bump ??

250 and 400 systems where made.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts