Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a '79 CM400T that I've been driving around everywhere until recently. The bike sat on my back porch for about a week while I was running errands with my pickup. When I jumped back onto the CM, something was amiss; it wouldn't shift into 2nd, 4th, or 5th. When it feels like it should be in these gears, the bike just freewheels. 1st and 3rd work perfectly. This was strange since the bike ran and shifted perfectly when I parked it. I drove it around the block a couple of times today trying to see if it was the linkage or the internals of the tranny. ONE time i got it to shift into 4th gear (and drove), but once I shifted back down at the stop sign all I had was 1st and 3rd again.

The shift linkage "feels" like it's going into all of the gears.

With the bike sitting still on the centerstand and engine OFF, I can sometimes get it to engage into all 5 gears. Never twice in a row, though.

What the heck is going on??

·
Registered
45 Posts
thats very weird, im interested in finidng out why that happened!

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
That is strange, did anyone else ride it while you were gone? Tip over? Just wondering if the shifter looks bent or anything. Strange for tranny to be fine on one ride and then the next one cause such drastic issues. Clutch adjusted correctly?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bike wasn't tipped over when I came to it. I don't see any evidence to suggest that it had been laid over.

My first thought was some kid was sitting on it, stomping on the shifter peg. But nothing is bent and everything "feels" like it's shifting correctly.

I'm very confused as to how it would be perfect when I parked it and then messed up when I came back to it. It never made any noise or displayed any symptoms to make me suspect something was amiss before I parked it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After being scared for months to tear into the transmission I finally convinced myself to work on it. I wish I would've done this sooner, as the fix was SO simple anyone could've done it!!

All I had to do is remove the clutch basket and tighten one bolt. ONE BOLT!!

It was bolt number 14 in this picture.

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
I hope you staked it or used lock-tite red on the bolt....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts