Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been trying to get the balancer assembly installed over the past few hours, everything looks right until i get to sliding the balancer shaft in to hold the rear balancer and no luck in getting them to line up.

I've played around with the adjuster (even taken it off to see if I can get the assembly in a different position). Chain is tight, no slack that could be used to assist in positioning the rear balancer correctly. slipper and guard plate installed correctly. All marks aligned correctly.

Anyone have experience getting this assembly put together or some tips that can be offered?

Much appreciated!

Marty

Attachments

·
Registered
841 Posts
With the c/case upsidedown, confusion can creep in...

The adjusting balance shaft is spring loaded to adjust anticlockwise.

The dot at 3 o clock ( c/case right way up ) is Max unadjusted.

The balance chain drive run is above the crank when c/case is upsidedown...

The slipper A is above that with the none drive chain run above the slipper.

The slipper A is between the two runs...

Is the chain the correct one ?

Your picture suggest something is really wrong...

·
Registered
841 Posts
With the c/case upsidedown, confusion can creep in...

The adjusting balance shaft is spring loaded to adjust anticlockwise.

The dot at 3 o clock ( c/case right way up ) is Max unadjusted.

The balance chain drive run is above the crank when c/case is upsidedown...

The slipper A is above that with the none drive chain run above the slipper.

The slipper A is between the two runs...

Is the chain the correct one ?

Your picture suggest something is really wrong...

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Solid or rubber balancers. If rubber did you have the sprocket off they are timed to the crank. If solid it wont matter .I put everything together and set the 3 marks then the slipper is the last thing I put in. Take the slipper off and try to put the shaft in.

Bill H

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Solid or rubber balancers. If rubber did you have the sprocket off they are timed to the crank. If solid it wont matter .I put everything together and set the 3 marks then the slipper is the last thing I put in. Take the slipper off and try to put the shaft in.

Bill H
Thanks Bill, I had to replace the rubber dampers, half of them fell apart and ended up in bits at the bottom of the crankcase. Couldn't figure out where the bits came from until I opened up the balancers and found what remained of the last few dampers.

Do you recall where the mark should be for the sprocket? I didn't notice the mark on the sprocket when I was replacing the dampers and now have no idea what position it should be in. Cant seem to find any instruction on this online or the haynes manual. See the pictures here, the first one is where it is currently set, the second picture it how i believe it should be set.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Its been about 3 years ago but it seems to me that the marks were very faint . On mine the one an the balancer looked like a small rear gunsight. Something like this ". The sprocket was just a dot Like a light center punch mark. Like I said I put it all together and lined up then installed the slipper last. I have a 1978 Honda 400 T full service manual I will dig it out and and see what I can find.

Bill H

1 - 7 of 7 Posts