Honda Twins banner

79 CB400 TII - Replace the master brake cylinder

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  jaredt 
#1 ·
Hi there.

I am working on replacing my handlebar controls. I really don't like the look of the stock Master Cylinder on this bike. I am looking at this product on ebay:

7 8'' Clutch Brake Levers Master Cylinder Reservoir Set for Honda Motorcycle New | eBay

It says it's compatible with the 79 cb400 TII.

2 Questions:
Does anyone have any words of caution around replacing the master cylinder?
Is there anything about this eBay product that I should be worried about?

Thanks,
Jared

#2 ·
The bore is 1/2" whereas the original is 5/8" IIRC, maybe 9/16". In any case that one will be more aggressive in feel and action. You'll probably be ok but if you've ridden quite a bit with the old master be very cautious with the new one until you figure out how sensitive it is. Don't expect it to be the same.
Personally the price seems too cheap for a master and both levers/perches.

#3 ·
It says "Made in China". It also lists about 150 different Honda models this item fits.
Of this number of bikes claimed to fit makes me skeptical.

Hey, you can put a submarine engine into an airplane if you have the will to make it work.

Question is, if you do order, it arrives, then find it does not fit or can't work it to make it fit,
Is it worth the $37 and change, plus shipping because I doubt they will accept return if opened, filled with brake fluid, grime etc.

Because you will be out this amount of money, plus return shipping, though not that much.

Also, the quality is unknown. Chinese parts do not have the most stellar reputation for quality.

Though I must say, they are good looking.

#4 ·
The vast number of bikes doesn't mean anything other than it's made to fit 7/8" bars and has the standard 10mm banjo bolt setup for the hose. A master cylinder is just a hydraulic cylinder with a reservoir attached, doesn't matter what it's for as long as the bar clamp, hose fitting and bore size are correct. I've used an XL650R and currently using a VFR master on the road bike. There are good and bad products out of China, unfortunately there's no way to know in advance.
The price point is my problem. $37.77 with free shipping indicates to me that the actual cost of this is in the $20 range which in turn begs the question "where did they save money at to get the price that low?"
One other thing I noticed is delivery is scheduled for 3-8 weeks from order time. Don't know about you but waiting for a master cylinder that long when I can get one in 2 days doesn't make sense.

#6 ·
Thanks a bunch guys! Really appreciate the feedback. I didn't go for these. Matching the bore size is important to me as I have been really happy with the braking power on the bike...just want to cleanup/un-clutter the front end of the bike and the stock master cylinder looks like crap.

I'll keep looking and let you know what I come up with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.