Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got the bike for a christmas present and have been kinda fiddling with it during the winter here, having an issue with setting the carb. anyone got any ideas how to set them and about where to start, i tried to set them like i would the 74 cl450k6 but i guess that that didnt work too well. lol but does any one have any ideas or some simple instructions to follow to get them set up. will post some pictures later.

thanks,
brandon

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I don't think there's much you can do with it - I think the mixture screw is one of those deals with a "cap" on it, won't let you do anything except lean it out a bit.

Here's an extract from the Clymer - I don't have a Honda manual on the Twinstars, sorry.

I'll be dealing with the same thing on a CM200 next spring.........

http://home.comcast.net/~tbpmusic6/twinstarcarb.pdf

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Brandon, Put mixture-screw 'tab' midway between the two stops.......Adjust idle screw to hold slide up about 1/16 inch off closed.....install carb....Start bike...adjust idle to desired point....
That's about all you can do.......If jets are clean, it should run/idle.... Steve

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
I seem to remember that if you take the float bowl off, you can remove the tabbed mixture screw normally. Then, you can cut off the tab with a hacksaw. Set the mixture screw 1-1/2 turns out from seated and adjust as you would normally. Just like Steve mentions. But, in case the EPA police are reading, you didn't hear that from me... :lol:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the mixture screw is also known as the pilot screw correct??? i set that 1 1/2 out and also put the idle adjustment screw out 1 1/2 turns. the bike seemed like it wanted to run it kinda muttered for a few moments but didn't actually start and stay running. i also didn't have a ton of fuel in the tank for it to run. im sure that that contributed to it. just a few more questions.

how does the idle actually get set?
whats the true procedure?

i know on the cl450 they actually have the stop screws that you just screw in or out to make the idle lower or higher?

what is the idle suppose to be around? maybe 1000? higher/lower

thanks,
Brandon

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Brandon, the idle is supposed to be set to about 1200 RPM....It can idle as low as 900 or so....But I just adjust until it sounds "right' and doesn't stall....Yes, mixture is the idle/air mix or pilot air screw..... The actual "idle" screw stops a ramp on the slide so is fairly sensative...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys so much. you all are very helpful in getting my bike's up and running correctly.

·
Registered
124 Posts
that was the first honda i ever bought. i turned it out looking like an old flat track racer and some older gentleman came by and begged me to sell it to him ( i bought it for my wife) cause it was his first bike. with a 2500 dollar offer he finally talked me out of it but sometimes i still miss it. fun little tike it was

1 - 8 of 8 Posts