Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm slowly returning the mighty Hawk to the road, but have suddenly encountered the clutch not operating. As in, pull in the clutch lever and can't drop into first (or any gear) without banging into gear with no help from the clutch. I'm not sure why, as it was fine and it's one item that hasn't been messed with. I've got the Service Manual but it's short on troubleshooting and adjustment. I apologize if this problem has been covered ad nauseum.
Where do I start?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
It is common for the friction plates to stick to the steels when these have been parked for a longer period of time. Rolling it back and forth in gear will help break them loose, just cold oil causing it.
Clutch adjustment procedure: back the bar adjuster all the way into the perch. Using a 17mm wrench on the case lever adjust the cable so there's a maximum of 2mm's free play from fully engaged cable position to touching the throw out/release bearing, spec is 1-2 mm, tighter is better as long as there's some free play. Once that's set you can use the bar adjuster to set engagement to suit you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jim,
After much surfing I came to realize that sitting around and not warmed up were the culprits, and then you confirmed it. I just let the beast run for a good long while and I now have some clutch action going!
The Hawk will soar again!

·
Registered
342 Posts
I had the same problem with my '79 Hawk. After a few warm ups and a few roll arounds
it finally began to work. This bike sat for 15 years and it will also soar again.

Reactions: dtsmjr8dan
1 - 4 of 4 Posts