Honda Twins banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys;
Slow progress. I picked up a parts bike with a low mileage engine. Got it installed and running. Swapped out the buckhorns for a superbike bar and added a custom seat. Still have to get the carbs sorted. That's all for now!

Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! It's a 50 footer for sure. The tanks and side covers will be painted later (dents and scratches). I painted the badges black but I don't like how they turned out. I have a set of carbs that I'm rebuilding,then fork seals and more TLC.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Welcome to the Honda 400 club. We're takin over this joint! :lol:

OK, not really, the brains of this outfit are in the 350 and 450 camps but they're very helpful to us late-comers anyway. :p

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys;
I rounded off the head on the oil filter housing. Of course it's an awkward reach. I have tried a heat gun and vice-grips. I'm to the point of drilling straight up and using an Easy-out. I'm a bit impatient to get riding but, maintenance comes first! Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Paul

·
Registered
72 Posts
thralldad said:
Guys;
I rounded off the head on the oil filter housing. Of course it's an awkward reach. I have tried a heat gun and vice-grips. I'm to the point of drilling straight up and using an Easy-out. I'm a bit impatient to get riding but, maintenance comes first! Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Paul
All the suggestions have already been suggested to me in my thread about the same issue. http://www.hondatwins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3452

In the end, I used something called an Extract it: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...ft%2BExtract-it%2B5-piece%2BSet.jsp?locale=en

And Had to grind the closest to a hex I could witha dremel (nice and slow so i didn't make it too small) then hammer the extractor socket on there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What a hassle! I finally got the filter housing off. I bought the special sockets. Worked great on my old engine,not so much on the one in the bike. I ended up laying the bike on it's side an drilling out the ruined bolt. It took a couple of days but I finally got it done. The replacement filter bolt has a 17mm head instead of the 12 mm stock one. I'm going on a shake down tomorrow. Wish me luck!

I have taken so long because my 4runner broke a timing chain and I got it rolling finally last weekend.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts