Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1978 CB400T Hawk II
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I noticed on the new to me Hawk the fuel tank cap has a tendency to ooze a bit of gas from the center top vent hole, even when the tank was down a bit I noticed it after riding. It is really noticeable now the tank is full for winter storage. Not a major leak, but enough to work its way down the sides of the cap, (not onto the paint yet). I thought the vent was a one way, air in and no gas out.

I ordered a new cap from Old Bike Barn and it arrived today. The problem with their cap is when it is fully seated the center rib is canted at about the 11 o'clock position, preventing the fuel tank cap door from closing. (I have an email in to Old Bike Barn to see what they say about that issue).

Thought? Thanks!

Marty

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Hi Marty, welcome.

I don't know of any Honda that had a vented gas cap that couldn't let fuel out.
I don't think there were any with check valves.

I had a cork sealed vented cap on my CM400C that would seep fuel down the sides of the tank if I filled up and parked on a sunny day. If there was a happy medium I never found it, but that tank/bike was flat black and easily touched up...

·
Registered
1978 CB400T Hawk II
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Alan,

Thanks for the info. I have had several older Hondas, when they were newer, lol! '74 CB125S, '76 550K, '80 750F, '79 and '82 CBX's and I don't remember any of them dribbling, but that was a long time ago. Again, thank you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts