Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick intro about this project I've undertaken. I came into a 1978 CB400a through a family member recently. It's been in a basement for at least the past 10 years and the odometer shows 850 miles. As the story goes, said family member acquired this bike plus a second identical bike from a neighbor years ago. One bike was pushed into the backyard, the other found its home in the basement. The original plan was to use the higher mileage, used bike for any parts that may be needed to get the lesser used bike running, if needed. Fast forward at least a decade and the project bikes have never been touched, plus the outdoor bike has succumbed to nature. I've revived the project and am hoping to at least get the indoor bike running. Just started this a day ago so we'll see how it goes. I've taken the tank and carbs off to clean and tried to recharge the battery but its a no go. Stay tuned.

cb400a.jpg speedo.jpg tankcarbs.jpg

On another note, just picked up a KTM Duke 390 which I'm having a blast with.
mytoys.jpg

·
Registered
470 Posts
Good luck on your project! Some people get down on the Hondamatic due to the lack of power but I think it is a really fun bike. I picked up one for my wife for her first bike and it is a blast! There is a wealth of knowledge here to help you along the way and we all love to follow threads like this one, especially if there are plenty of pics.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks EazyDR. I don't like seeing things go to waste or being unused. 10 years is a long time to be 'getting started' so I'm biting the bullet and seeing what I can do. It's not like I'll be taking this bike to the track or racing but if doing some work will add another bike to my garage then I'm all for it (plus it's a free bike :D). The forum has already proven useful since I've been able to get the manuals in a very short amount of time. Thanks again for the generosity.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Duke. Great to have another 400 series here.

·
Registered
470 Posts
It looks like a clean bike to start with. You will begin to see that there is no such thing as a "free bike". Trust me, my neighbor gave me a RD350 and it is going to be pricey to get going. As long as you are having fun, right!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I knocked the wires loose off of the gear position switch while I was removing the carbs. I started a thread over in the Electrical section if anyone wants to follow that specifically --> Sensor Wires

I was able to get some pics of the second bike that's been sitting outside. I'm not sure what can be salvaged off of this if need be but at least I have an in-house option should I need to try and replace something.

bikeOutside.JPG outsideSpeedo.JPG

I've got a new battery ordered and I'm beginning to clean out the gas tank. I've come across several methods to clean gas tanks (vinegar, Kreem, etc) but haven't decided on a method. There only seems to be some light surface rust so perhaps the vinegar method would do, as well as being a much cheaper solution. Any suggestions?

I'll do a good cleaning of the carbs once I get more than an hour of free time.

As far as the aesthetics of the bike, I'm not sure if I just want to clean it up real nice and keep everything stock or do a simple repaint. Of course, this is something I'd give more thought to once the bike gets running.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
I'm not sure which wire goes where on the switch, do you have the A model supplement that describes the function of it with the wiring diagram?
If it's just light rust I'd suggest the vinegar over anything else. Once fuel is in it on a regular basis that'll keep rust from forming again. I really don't like Kreem, Red Kote is a better alternative for a tank sealer/liner if needed.
There's sticky in the SOHC Carb section on rebuilding the carbs

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I checked the wiring diagram and it seems that both wires go to the change relay. Best guess would be to match up the solder points against the wire ends. The wiring diagram I'm referring to is at the back of the 'A' supplement on page 1-2

1 - 8 of 8 Posts