Honda Twins banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I’m looking for ideas regarding candy apple red side panels for my 78 CB400... the previous owner supplied me with red Hawk side panels but the colour is bugging me..LOL. Any ideas on a solution?

Pictures are of my bike and the original side panel colour as found on eBay.

Attachments

·
Registered
500 Posts
Well.... Here are your options

1- repaint the tank to match, good luck :eek:
2- repaint the side cover to match, good luck again :eek:
3- buy the one off ebay, not cheap i presume. I bought one myself (was in poor condition), but was repainting the whole bike anyway, so condition didn't matter. And nothing some bodywork can't repair.
4- maybe a member has a side cover, best of luck
5- keep it that way

Seriously, if it bugs you a lot, either hope a member has one or buy the one on ebay.

How is the one on the other side?

Good luck!

·
Registered
500 Posts
It's up to you! Who cares about what other people thinks, it's YOUR bike. Just say the sun faded the tank, that's all!

·
Registered
725 Posts
I found a rattle can that comes pretty close in colour, I'll check what it is if you're interested. I still need to wet sand and clear coat the cover.
DSC01180 (2).JPG

The paint is a Nissan color "Sparkle red"- BNS0600

·
Registered
725 Posts
That paint was Dupli-color.

The seat cover is made by Gowing Seat in Canada. They're around $100 and come with the strap. It is really nicely made.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I should have known it was Ontario from your avatar, the grey skies and rain. It has rained here everyday for the last 30. It's so wet I can't get anything out of my barn/shop because the ground is just muck. Luckily "Old Faithful" was in the garage on high ground this winter so if it ever stops raining I will be able too ride.

Ken Gowing in North Bay or a little town near there, did the seat cover. He's on the web.

Royal Distributing, Fortnine, GP Bikes are all good companies too deal with online/phone here at home. Royal doesn't carry a lot of road bike parts but they have some things, like brake pads. I see a company called West End cycle near Caledon that offers parts. It might be worth going through an actual bike shop for what you need, they do certifications, which I imagine you will need eventually so it might be worth establishing a relationship with a shop. The old Honda dealerships are usually good too deal with, the newer ones, I find, generally aren't interested.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gotta love Ontario in the spring... rain rain rain.

I’ll keep all that in mind! Thanks for the advice. Have you seen the website 4into1? They have most every part I need. Just have to keep in mind they are in San Fran so there is the exchange rate... LOL.

Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update!
I found a friend who runs a paint shop in Scarborough, Ontario... they painted the tank and side covers for me. However, I couldn’t find the decals to match , so they hand painted the decals on themselves... the result is amazing. I can’t believe how well this turned out. There is also a before picture for reference

Attachments

·
Registered
725 Posts
Did they use Candy paint? The colour looks right. LOL, I say that not having seen anything but sun faded paint jobs in a long time. It looks good

1 - 17 of 17 Posts