Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had two 78 400A motors apart now, and just getting ready to order some seals and gaskets and noticed that NEITHER of mine have ever had the spring or washers in this diagram 6 and 9.

Those look like they go over the shift shaft.

Possibly items left out from some previous owners, but just looking to see if anyone else has found them missing, or are they REALLY supposed to be there.

The “description” of the spring is “front brake cable”?

Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was actually just working on my 78 400A and was wondering about the spring as well. I had the side cover off and the shifter off, and couldn't for the life of me figure out why they would need a spring there. Its not strong enough to do anything, and the shift lever is held on by a bolt, and on the opposite side of the case. I would hazard a guess that you don't necessarily need them.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have a washer and spring over the shifter shaft, don't know if it is the one you are referring too (can't make the pic bigger to see). But mine is a 400T model, maybe that's why. The washer cover the seal there.

·
Registered
500 Posts
When I wrapped up my project, I asked LDR about the order to put the washer and spring. Here is his answer:

The washer is there to protect the seal from the spring, so washer first, then spring and cover.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Makes sense Honda would put that there, just hadn’t seen it in person before, and I’ve caught some diagrams before with odd discrepancies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The spring/washer parts only seem to apply to early models of the CB 400's, not found on the CM's of any year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts