Honda Twins banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a farm auction yesterday, I was actually looking for rustic metal pieces. The field was lined with rows of farm equipment and completely out of place at the far end of a row sat this.
DSC01210.JPG
It hadn't been listed on the sale bill and I wasn't looking for another bike. Well...you know how it is.

Original owner, 19,000km (12,000mi), manual and tool kit, bought it for $375Cdn($280US).
DSC01212.JPG
The worst of the rust is the rear fender, apart from the rack/seat back.
DSC01211.JPG
Overall a pretty good deal I think, time will tell.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Nice find! Nothing some elbow grease, sand papers and polishing compound can't fix. Do you need a FSM ?

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Great find. Good for you, Brent.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I finally have put a wrench to this bike. I was planning on getting it running and selling "as is" but instead I'll re&re worn parts while I have things apart.
The tank was a mess and took much longer than normal to clean. It is now in a usable state. I've removed a couple dents, it's good enough now that it's patina as opposed to damage.
The rubber velocity stacks were so hard I had to remove the air box to pull the carbs. I had forgotten what a pain they are to get out. The bike came with a fairing, which I removed. I got a pair of fork ears from Alan and the forks needed to be pulled to install them. I'm now down to a frame with a motor, the triples and handlebars so I figure I might just as well fix everything as I put it back together.

I have run across a couple new to me situations with the bike.

The brake system has white powder in the master, which I have seen before. But the caliper has fluid in it that looks like it's from a working system.

Then when I removed the carbs and moved them to the bench, this green liquid the colour of antifreeze started leaking out. It was in the float bowls. In the bottom of the bowl is the typical black slim of old fuel.

We have a nice week of weather ahead and I'll be able to hit the frame with some soap and water. Get rid of the 40 year old grunge and then put together the shopping list. I'd like to have it ready to go for the first of May.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Have a good week Brent and enjoy working out in the warm weather too.
I have the rear fender from that same 78 CB400T1 it's in really nice shape and is the correct part for your 78 400A Partzilla fender so speak up if you'd like it and we can work something out.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Have you ever seen anything that colour come out of a carb? Maybe algae fuel and they forgot to take out the algae.
Yeah, that is one of the weirdest colors I've ever seen in a carb - you might be right (eewww). Just thinking about algae fuel, yuck

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The carbs are VB31's on this bike
The butterflies are seized tight...oh yea. The real issue is that I cannot get the vacuum pistons out. I am assuming the piston assembly should slide out with the jet in place. The jet doesn't appear to have a screwdriver head. We have more brute force and ignorance available but I'm wondering if it is a finesse job.
Should the vacuum piston just slide out?

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I can't speak to the carbs from the 400 series, but the slide (vacuum piston) in them looks a whole lot like the slide in the DOHC 450 carbs - and they just lift out, so there must be some corrosion involved. The needle should lift out with it with the piston

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can wiggle the piston so It must be a bit of sticky crap in the needle guide.
It's a slide, it should slide. lol

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It was a bit of varnished fuel in the needle guide. I ended up giving the slide a wee pry through the throat of the carb and it came loose. The internals and needles are very clean. The only real crude was in the bowls and very little there. I was thinking he might have shut of the gas and run it dry on the last ride. It might explain why the bowls were relatively clean.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts