Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did something last night that I never thought I'd do. I bought a 1977 GL1000 off eBay sight unseen. It seems like a good price and it's almost all original. The owner is a current Board Of Directors member of the VJMC so I'm hoping he's accurate on the description of the bike.

I'm going to fly to California towards the end of this week and I'll ride it 1300 miles home to Texas.

I'll post up some pictures a little later.

·
Registered
134 Posts
well good luck with that. it makes me nervous to buy anything sight unseen. post the ebay link so we can check it out.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Man, that is BEAUTIFUL!! I'm envious... :mrgreen:

For that bike, for that condition (at least, according to the pictures; I didn't read the whole text...), it looks like you got a pretty good deal!

Plus, a nice ride back to Texas into the bargain!

Post up the pictures when you get it, and on the road trip back!

Kirk

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I'm pleased overall. There is another, slightly cleaner one, one on eBay right now and it's the Aqua color that my wife wanted but there is 6 days left and the bidding is already up to $2K.

Based on the pictures, the first thing I'll do is remove the passanger floor boards and return the exhaust to the proper height. Next up will be to polish the valve covers, timining belt cover and carb intakes.

Other than that, we just plan to ride it on some longer trips.

I'm really looking forward to the long ride home from Texas. I haven't done a long ride on an unfaired bike in many, many years. It should be fun. :)

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tbpmusic said:
You got that one?? i saw that listng.
Sweeeet...........
You're gonna love that bike - try to stay out of trouble, they'll fly.
Actually, this is the second time this bike was listed. A guy from NY bought it the first time but then back out because of the cost to ship it, so it was relisted.

I was all set to snipe it for the "buy it now" price but I was afraid it would hit reserve and then keep going higher. I set my snipe price about $150 higher than the by it now price but, in the end, I just used the By-It-Now button.

Again, I don't like to by a complete bike sight unseen, but, like my riding style, I like to live on the edge sometime too.

We bought some soft saddle bags this afternoon so I can carry some stuff on weekend trips.

:)

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
WOW! The one you bought is a BEAUT!! Good luck on your ride!! :D

You either got a fatter wallet then I, or larger balls.. :lol:

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Wow.

My dad was just looking at a bike in Arizona, I suggested we both buy one, and ride home together after flying out there. He looked at me like I was crazy.

See. I'm not!

Good luck on the road trip! Take some pix?

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bird76Mojo said:
WOW! The one you bought is a BEAUT!! Good luck on your ride!! :D

You either got a fatter wallet then I, or larger balls.. :lol:

GB :mrgreen:
Well, I know it's not a fatter wallet..........

·
Registered
134 Posts
man that is a nice looking bike! i've had my eye on a 77 gold wing i am trying to talk the guy out of for cheap. only 14,000 miles on the one i am looking at. good luck and good find.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
You are going to love that bike. You will be amazed at how fast it is and have a blast with it. I think you did great on it.
Don

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK everyone, wish me luck. I'm heading out in the morning (without the computer or internet access) but I'll post up some pictures when I get back on Sunday. I plan to visit some friends and another HondaTwins Forum member in Moorepark, CA. If I have the time I'm going to ride the newly opened Angeles Crest Hwy and Mulholland Dr. via the Rock Store. I haven't been on those roads in almost 30 years so it'll be like old home week for a day or two.

Hopefully the bike doesn't let me down. I'd hate to have my wife have to drive 1300 miles to come get me. :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Good Luck Mike! :cool: Hope all goes well, and ya took a camera! ;)

Let us know how things went when ya get back.

BOL ,Randy :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
He'll be fine...1977 was a good year for durable workhorses... :cool:

·
Registered
163 Posts
leethal said:

I hope so. Thatsa looong ride on an unkown bike. :cool:

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
when does he ride this pig home?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
trublu said:
leethal said:

I hope so. Thatsa looong ride on an unkown bike. :cool:

He'll be ok - Wings (especially the old ones, the 1000's) are uber-tough bikes.

As long as the wheels don't fall off, he should be fine........

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What disaster....... :evil:

I'm in Dallas airport right now and I'll post a recap later tonight or tomorrow.

Obviously, since the GL1000 is not part of my checked luggage, I came home without a motorcycle.

Caveat emptor........

1 - 20 of 42 Posts