Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found, what sounded like, a very nice Gold Wing within driving distance from my house. I talked my wife into wasting her only day off this week to drive with me to see it. The pictures and description sounded great so I took the precaution of loading the Baxley Sport Chock and motorcycle ramp into the back of the truck for the 4 hour drive to Rusk, TX.

The seller was a great guy and had a wonderfully large shop where he had two other gold wings along with lots of tools. He seemed up front about the bike, what he had done and how he got it. The bike looked great and seemed to run well. We took it for a nice ride up the road for quite a few miles and my wife liked the luggage and the back rest against the Vetter Trunk.

For me, the fairing and luggage was definitely not my style but for the $2500 price that I finally paid, I figured I could remove it and sell it to help off set the cost. My wife seems to be changing her mind about it though so I might be keeping it. The luggage seems pretty heavy and with both of us on board the bike is pretty lethargic in acceleration mode. Maybe I've gotten confortable to the acceleration of my GSXR 1K race bike. I don't know, but I was thinking it would be a quicker bike. I plan on removing all the fairing stuff and luggage at least once to see how it runs unloaded.

I've already put a few hundred miles on it the past few days and I'm reasonably pleased. It's smooth riding down the road at 70 or 80 mph but at slow speed I think it needs some work. I've heard the carbs are very similar to the Honda 450 carbs so that will be nice. Eveything thing I've read tells me I should plan on spending some time trying to get this thing to carburate properly. I plan on syncing them up along with all the other tune-up stuff that goes with that, soon.

Tomorrow I'll be starting with a compression check and changing the plugs. Then I'll set the points (soon to be replaced with a Dyna ignition) and ultimately set the timing.

The seat is a modified '77 GL1000 seat and I don't find it that comfortable. I had originally budgeted for a Corbin Sport Touring saddle. It has some handlebar extensions on it as well that I plan on removing. It doesn't look like there will be any clearance issues but I'll have to wait and see.

The Lester wheels are nice. With the Lesters, I can run tubeless tires which is a plus.

The first thing I did when I got the bike home was to remove three things:
  • The bumper on the front fender got the heave ho. Actually my wife took manned the wrenches for that one. The fend is a non-stock, painted unit for a '77 or '78 model I think.
    Next was the funky highway pegs mounted to the crash bar. I haven't done so yet, but they'll probably go into the trash can.
    Last but not least were the fairing lowers. They look good but offer a little to much protection and I found my legs getting overly hot in the 90 deg weather. I'll save those since they go nicely with the rest of the bike.

Give me a shout if you have any ideas about the carbs on these things. There is a big Gold Wing world out there but lots of the information is expensive.

As I said, the seller was a very nice guy. He asked me what size helmet I wore then produced a brand new HJC with the new style flip down visor and flip up chin. He told me it was brand new but uncomfortable for him and I could have it. He also tossed in a full bike cover and and unpainted but un-dented top tank cover. I don't care for the luggage rack on the cover although it will probably come in handy.

Here are some pics.

And finally, here is a picture of what I want it to look like in the not-to-distant future after the the CB450 is completed.

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Mike... got the attachment, but your pix are all red X's....... :?:
Must have gotten "lost" in your doubled posting efforts....

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
66Sprint said:
Mike... got the attachment, but your pix are all red X's....... :?:
Must have gotten "lost" in your doubled posting efforts....
There you go. It must have been a 'burp' during the outage.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Buy your wife an excellent backpack and be done with all that luggage! Lois Vitton should be informed of this dillema so that an arrangement between 'stylin momma' and 'cruzin daddy' can be forged :cool:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Understandable that you want all that excess off of the bike, but you know, that IS a nice looking ride (I'd have pulled that piece off of the front fender myself. :D ) and I know it will be great looking when you are finished. I'm just saying that it COULD look alot worse! Be looking to see just how you proceed with this one, myself. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Suuweeet !!!!

Need the Manual??????

I had an '81 Necked Wing - it couldn't be considered "lethargic" in any mode. Wings are actually pretty quick/fast bikes.
And it was the first bike I ever rode that didn't terrify me at 100+mph...........

The carb-synching is critical on a Wing. Fortunately it's pretty easy compared to some of the vertical Fours.
You need to get some Morgan "gauges".......

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tbpmusic said:
Suuweeet !!!!

Need the Manual??????

I had an '81 Necked Wing - it couldn't be considered "lethargic" in any mode. Wings are actually pretty quick/fast bikes.
And it was the first bike I ever rode that didn't terrify me at 100+mph...........

The carb-synching is critical on a Wing. Fortunately it's pretty easy compared to some of the vertical Fours.
You need to get some Morgan "gauges".......
Of course I need the manual. Do you have one? I'm getting ready to snipe one on eBay.

I haven't hear of Morgan 'gauges', what are they?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Of course I have the manual, the official Honda manual as a PDF.
Sadly, at nearly 60MB it's too big to email or post.
I could mail you a cd??

The Morgan unit is here - they're actually manometers that use calibrated stainless steel rods rather than a liquid.
So you get all the advantages of manometers versus dial-gauges (no twitching needles, very imprecise), plus you never have to deal with any fluids. Rock-steady readings, ultra high quality tool should appeal to an aircraft dude like you. About $100, but a sensible buy if you mess with the Fours...

http://www.carbtune.com/

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
HerrDeacon said:
Can that Morgan manometer be used to just sync two cylinders instead of four (i.e. turn off two of the channels)? Would be nice if it could.

Yeah, sure....you can also use it on your Kawasaki H1 triple !!

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info and tips Bill.

I just ordered the Morgan gauge along with the adjusting screwdriver/nut driver. The total was about $125 US but, as you said, good tools are an investment and I can never have too many tools. :)

Thanks for the offer on the CD but I'll go ahead and snag one of the factory manuals on eBay. It'll save you the postage and trouble and by the time I pay to have it printed and bound it's just easier to get the manual off eBay in this case. Do you happen to have a Parts Manual on CD?

I haven't gotten into the carbs on my 450 yet and I understand these are the same or similar. Will I need another type of screwdriver to get at the pilot adjusting screws?

I was going to do the compression check today but work got in the way. I did manage to pull the points cover and check things out. I can see how both points are independent of the timing. The point gap was set about .015" but there was a slight pit in both of them. I used a file and smoothed them out then checked to ensure they were less than .016" and they were. I cranked the idle up about 50 rpm and that, along with the point clean-up, seems to have helped the low speed response and even seemed to improve mid range. I had Beth on the back and I removed the saddle bags and I also cranked up the rear suspension all the way. These changes seemed to have helped the ride.

The cam belt has about 5000 miles on it according to the PO. He told me that after the sale so I have no reason to doubt it.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got the chance to check the compression today and all cylinders were within 5 psi of each other. the two lowest were at 158 and the highest was almost 165. I understand the low end of the spec is (per the factory manual) is about 161 so I'm not going to worry about anything right now. The bike starts right up, idles nice and runs well.

I read somewhere that the rated HP for the early GL1000's was about 80 hp at the crank. If that's the case then the rear wheel HP would put it somewhat lower than the SV650 I used to race (basically stock motor) and that bike only weighed about 380 lbs and not almost 650. :)

I've got the parts manual on the way as well as the Factory Service Manual. Some front turn signals and headlight rings/bulb is all I need in order to remove the front fairing. My wife has gotten rather fond of the fairing and bodywork so I doubt I'll be selling it anytime soon.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Maybe sling the front and rear fairings together via padded seat belt. Then ask her to try it on for arguements sake.... :lol:

Just kidding Mike, do NOT lure the missus with debate ( lure....bait.... :lol: ...I'm an idiot...)

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Had to go to picasaweb, but saw the pics... Very nice (underneath all that luggage)..LOL.... Wouldn't mind having that myself!...... :D Steve

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I like that thank luggage rack a lot.

hmm....

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
JeyLux said:
I like that thank luggage rack a lot.

hmm....
Me thinks J-man is a fancier of a roomy booty :cool: I recon go nekid :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I really hated that luggage rack when I first got it but it's growing on me now. The side panels on the faux tank are plastic so my (brand new) tank bag won't work on it. Using the tank rack, I can make the tank bag stay in position.

Since they drilled holes in the top, I've got another top for it if I want to get rid of the rack though.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
It just reminds me of the triumph stuff i suppose

if you ever want to sell the tank rack, and i haven't fabbed one up for my bike yet, let me know. i'd be interested i'd bet.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.